Contact Lenses vs Prescription Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've rarely (almost never) seen someone lose a contact while scuba diving.

However, I just opt for prescription lenses since you can't lose those and if I lose the entire mask, I'd be in the same boat either way.

True, but in the rare event you lose a contact lens while on a dive, it's easy to replace a lost contact lens (provided you are able to see well enough to end the dive). Keep spare lenses in your dive bag, and just pop a replacement in your eye once you're back on the boat. For the price of a prescription dive mask, I can buy a 6-month supply of contact lenses.

My mask lasts more than 6- months... :wink:

(this is a joke)

Okay you're joking, but I had a prescription mask, didn't like it, and now use contact lenses. That's all. I tossed the prescription mask in the trash. If you lose or screw up a contact lens, you simply replace it with a brand-new one. You lose or screw up a prescription mask, you're hosed. A few spare contacts cost a tiny fraction of the cost of a dive trip, and you can leave a spare contact almost anywhere--nobody can accidentally sit on it and break it they way they could with your mask or eyeglasses. A prescription mask doesn't allow you to leave your (likely expensive) eyeglasses at home--they have to come on the boat, too, and be kept in a safe place while you're out diving, and yet be readily accessible after the dive. Eyeglasses and prescription masks are a PITA. Barring LASIK, I believe contacts are the next best thing.

I like being able to find a mask that fits and isn't too expensive. Not every mask can take prescription lenses, and some lenses are pretty pricey. I much prefer an off-the-shelf mask and disposable contacts as the overall price is easier on my wallet (I can amortize the contacts over the daily wear period as well). Plus if I lose a mask I can replace it as soon as I can get to a dive store - no waiting for prescription lenses to be ordered and arrive.

Don't really have a dog in this hunt because I don't wear contacts regularly anymore, but prescription masks don't have to be expensive. A lot would depend on your prescription (complexity) and if you can dive with single vision lenses. My mask with lenses which are removable/replaceable (by me) cost $75 including the lenses. That's less than many non prescription masks. It's a Cressi product that I would probably use with or without prescription lenses. It seems to be a matter of personal preference and what you can get used to. I think I would like the idea of being unencumbered underwater without a mask if necessary. I lifeguard at a local pool and folks lose their contacts in the pool all the time. Probably not an apples to apples comparison. :)

I've had prescription contact lenses for several years now. Whenever I go swimming with my snorkel mask, I wear the contacts. However, they are soft lenses and don't like getting water in them. Since I'm likely going to take my OW SCUBA certification classes next summer, I'd like to consider getting a prescription mask. I know that part of the course is learning how to take off your mask and replace/clear it underwater. Unfortunately, even with my eyes shut during the process, the little bit of water left on my eyes would mess up my contacts and likely leave me partially or totally "blind" until I can reach the surface and remove or fix the contacts.

I think my plan will be to get a prescription mask to use in the water, and keep a pair of glasses with me for on land. Then also keep an extra pair of contacts and a regular blank mask as backup.

Thoughts? Experience? Advice for a pre-scuba'er?

Thanks for any input! :)

When I started diving, I sprung for an Rx mask because I didn't think that contacts and diving would work well. One day at the Quarry, my mask got crushed by a cylinder(another story completely). I went to my truck and popped my lenses in so I could dive with my back up mask. They worked okay, but like you, got a little funny when my mask flooded.

I was up for an eye exam so I spoke with my optometrist about diving and contacts. She took some extra time to fit me for a different lens and also prescribed me some cheap dailies. Long story short, I now dive with my contacts 100% of the time.

While many use Rx masks, there are just as many who wear their contacts while diving. My recommendation is to talk to your optometrist about your diving, if you're lucky you'll get one like mine who takes the extra time to ensure that you're fitted up correctly and using the correct brand. You'd be suprised at how some optometrists jgo with "good enough" when it comes to fitting lenses. Who knows, you may be one where an Rx mask works better and that's a perfectly fine option, we sell and fit divers up for them all the time...they're not as expensive as most thing.

When I started diving, I sprung for an Rx mask because I didn't think that contacts and diving would work well. One day at the Quarry, my mask got crushed by a cylinder(another story completely). I went to my truck and popped my lenses in so I could dive with my back up mask. They worked okay, but like you, got a little funny when my mask flooded.

I was up for an eye exam so I spoke with my optometrist about diving and contacts. She took some extra time to fit me for a different lens and also prescribed me some cheap dailies. Long story short, I now dive with my contacts 100% of the time.

While many use Rx masks, there are just as many who wear their contacts while diving. My recommendation is to talk to your optometrist about your diving, if you're lucky you'll get one like mine who takes the extra time to ensure that you're fitted up correctly and using the correct brand. You'd be suprised at how some optometrists jgo with "good enough" when it comes to fitting lenses. Who knows, you may be one where an Rx mask works better and that's a perfectly fine option, we sell and fit divers up for them all the time...they're not as expensive as most thing.

Good points here. Disposable contacts (either daily or extended wear) make using contacts while diving a much more reasonable argument. They aren't expensive to replace, you don't have to have glasses along on the boat, and it's easy to carry spares around with you. As I said earlier in this thread, I can swim under water with my eyes open and my extended wear contacts in, with no trouble. I wouldn't want to do a long swim that way, but a mask flood or remove/replace is no problem at all.

Thanks uncfnp. I've talked to at least one person who has tried those and she like them. They sound strange, but maybe I'll give it a try at some point.
Check with your eye Doc. Most will give samples to try before you buy. And be patient, they do take a period of adjustment.

s you already said, taking your mask off during class is a requirement. So is finding it, or your weight belt, or miscellaneous things with your mask off is also part of it so you will have to have your eyes open while underwater.
Others have questioned the other points you made, so i will just point out that this is not true, either. I don't know any agency that has OW course requirements that you look for and find objects under water without a mask. Some individual instructors may still require to old style of ditch and don despite the fact that it is not a part of their agency requirements, but they are very rare and are risking a lawsuit if they do.

While many use Rx masks, there are just as many who wear their contacts while diving. My recommendation is to talk to your optometrist about your diving, if you're lucky you'll get one like mine who takes the extra time to ensure that you're fitted up correctly and using the correct brand.

Ooh, good idea - I just got a reminder in the mail to make an eye appt, so I can ask my optometrist about it fairly soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom