Mola Mola in Bali where to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. That is a lot of places. A point made by a couple of the posters is one that I am focusing on. I was not going to dive in Bali for the 8 days I am there honestly. I am coming off of two live aboards. I am doing Komodo and Raja. Bali was going to be beach, temples and food. Then I I heard it was Mola season. I may spend one or two days diving. Reading all the posts sounds like the odds are I will come up empty on a Mola sighting.

I am going to research all the places listed try to make the best choice.

Thanks everyone for your help,

One thing about Bali is that there's a significant oversupply of hotels. So you can always find accommodation pretty much at any time even if you didn't book in advance.

I suggest just book accommodation for 2 or 3 nights in Sanur/Lembongan.. look for Mola-Mola. Decide after a day or two of diving whether to extend diving or move to a different area.

Any other sites besides crystal bay for Mola Mola sightings
Have the started for this year ..

Mola have started this year but they are being seen quite rarely because the water is still too warm at the moment. In fact, they were seen a few days ago at Manta Point (which is very unusual) because the water in Manta Point was cooler than at the other sites. Unfortunately the Mola were deeper than the Manta because otherwise what a great shot that would have been to capture them both in the same frame!

As Dan mentioned other sites include Blue Corner & Toyapakeh however personally speaking I don't allow dives at Blue Corner with my company for safety reasons – I've just seen too many accidents (including a number of fatal ones) at that site for me to justify it. Others may have a different opinion.

They are also commonly seen along the North coast of Nusa Penida. That being said, when the water is the right temperature Crystal Bay is still the best place for a sighting.

Manta Point (which is very unusual)

I beg to differ with Simon on that point. I've had so many sighting at this site's cleaning station around 25m.

I'd be really careful with dive operations in Sanur. Make sure you find a safe one. I stay at Two Fish on Lembongan. I've seen people turned away because their boats were full. They will always take you if you are staying there. It's nice and cheap. If you are looking for great (but expensive) food there's Indian Kenanga. I've found Two Fish to be very careful and cautious.

Whst is it about Blue Corner that has caused the diver deaths?

I disagree with the recommendation to stay in Sanur. This is quite a way from Lembongan. If you stay on the island itself , Nusa Lembongan and dive with an experienced local dive shop you will get there when it is relatively quiet and will have a better chance to see them if they do appear. We saw three last year in late October. Diving in the area can be challenging with strong currents , coldish water and challenging surface conditions. Masses of day boats arrive together and make these diving sites very tricky.

I would have to agree diving around the island is well worth a few days. I stayed at Bali Hai, as well as some place in on the hill (top room, 122 steps from lobby to room) We got our dive operator to take us out very early in the morning, and we were first on site at Crystal Bay, we (2 divers, 1 DM) had the whole place to ourselves excluding the 3 Mola Mola's that were getting cleaned. After experiencing the well known down currents we surfaced to the horde descending upon the site.... Now without any Mola's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom