Mola Mola in Bali where to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clernix

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in Bali 10/04-10/14/2016/ I want to see Mola Mola. Where would be a good place to stay?

I think the Mola Mola season is over by then. The best time to see is from August to September, but you may be still lucky enough to see some stragglers. The best place to stay is in Sanur & take a boat ride to Crystal Bay in Nusa Penida. PM me if you want a good dive guide, as diving in Crystal Bay is a bit dangerous (down current) & temperature could be cold (< 70F).

Last edited:
Hi Clernix,
@Dan_T is right: you're getting here a bit late for the usual sunfish season. That being said, this year is very special as we still have not had any thermoclines yet. The cold water normally arrives around April and we get a few months of cold water before the molas hit the stage. It's difficult to know what effect this will have on the sunfish. Village elders tell me they've never seen this... Will they come late? Will they come as plentiful as last year? Will they come at all?
I've been told of a couple of sightings in fairly deep water. But I'm not 100% sure of the correctness of that source!

@Clernix Nusa Penida is great for sunfish. I personally prefer Blue Corner or Toyapakeh to Crystal Bay as bubble baths while diving are not my thing. Also, have a look at sites like Gili Tepekong, Mimpang, Biaha and Selang. These often see sunfish with few divers even at times when the molas have not made it to Penida yet.

I disagree with the recommendation to stay in Sanur. This is quite a way from Lembongan. If you stay on the island itself , Nusa Lembongan and dive with an experienced local dive shop you will get there when it is relatively quiet and will have a better chance to see them if they do appear. We saw three last year in late October. Diving in the area can be challenging with strong currents , coldish water and challenging surface conditions. Masses of day boats arrive together and make these diving sites very tricky.

I often recommend people come end-September / start-October. We usually still see them at that time and if you do have an encounter it's likely to be a much more enjoyable one because the crowds will have thinned out by then. Also the wind should have dropped so a less choppy crossing and more pleasant diving conditions.

As always with these unpredictable ugly beasts - you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Hard core divers may prefer to stay on Lembongan but Sanur offers lots more options for the non-diving hours (and family). Some really top restaurants these days, good bars, nightclub, zillions of shops, a nice beach and not too far to Kuta / Seminyak / Legian for a night out. Depends what you're looking for I guess.

...Hard core divers may prefer to stay on Lembongan but Sanur offers lots more options for the non-diving hours (and family). Some really top restaurants these days, good bars, nightclub, zillions of shops, a nice beach and not too far to Kuta / Seminyak / Legian for a night out. Depends what you're looking for I guess.

Exactly! That's the reason I pick Sanur. There are so many things you can do in Bali, besides diving & you want to be in the center of all of the actions.

I was not fortunate to be there during Mola Mola season, but I did not especially enjoy my stay on Lembongan. Next trip I would opt to stay in Sanur and take a day boat. I suspect that a fast, seaworthy day boat could cross the channel and get on site no later than one of the slow boats from Lembongan.

Is sep end a good time to spot mola mola... And keeping bali sight seeing along with diving.. in mind should one consider sanur as base or further down Padang bai /candidasa

Yes, usually end of September is good time.

Padang Bai and Candi Dasa are more accessible for North and East Bali, but less accessible for South Bali (for example Uluwatu). For Ubud it's probably quicker from Sanur because going from Padang Bai / Candi Dasa to Ubud uses smaller and slower roads. Basically, Padang Bai and Candi Dasa are most suitable for hard core divers who just want to dive.

Back
Top Bottom