Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2-15 dive report. Had two fun dives with Mike and Baerbel. First dive was at Butterfly house, surgy and only 20'vis.
2nd dive was unexpectedly awesome at Breakwater. Surface swam up to marker 12, we saw dolphins not too far from us. Upon descending into the blue water, the wall looked like a tropical dive. It was 57˚F.
Mike found a line at about marker 13, so we followed him to the barge. Swam around the barge a bit then followed the line back to the wall and watched sea lion squadrons go by and one bull zeppelin sea lion cruised above us.
Vis was at least 40ft.

Last edited:
2/15 off Coral St with Broadreach. Lot of wind chop in the morning. Viz was OK, at least 30' with lots of particulates. We were checking out kayak diving and didn't go out far. Depth about 25'. VERY surgy. Bottom was bareish, with lots of urchins about. One very beat up (no fins, one eye gone) but still alive mola mola banging around in the surge. We did our best to dispatch it.

Chuck's Monterey-Sea-Conditions-at-a-Glance page is back up :D. Thanks go to Jason Adelaars.

Did 2 at Breakwater. Vis was about 25ft. Ocean was fairly calm. Dropped at the 71/2 marker and worked the edge of the wall past 13. Nice dive. Saw a Hiltons nudibranch which is strange for Breakwater.

Did 2 dives at Lovers Point, viz 25-30 feet. There was a little surge, nothing to bad. We did come across a Bat Ray laying on the bottom near some type of machinery that's been there awhile. Over all 2 great dives.

We did two dives today at Point Lobos. It was my first time there and we had a great time. Vis was not great at the mouth of the cove, probably less than 15' in some spots. Out on middle reef at about 40-60' depth the vis was over 30'. Bottom temps were 54 degrees and the swell was pretty flat. It was a great day of diving.

Well 3D... I looked around today, and yesterday, Carmel was/is quite blown out with plenty of swell. Made my way inside the bay, and found NW winds pushing waves against the breakwater, soaking the walkway. The water looked like pea soup, surgey, and quite uninviting:/
I did see a couple solo divers, though never spoke to them. I ended up in the pool swimming laps...
Thats the top side report. Sorry its not great news... Anyone got a water report?

I've checked the past two days and Breakwater has been crappy both days. The weekend forecast isn't any better. I'll be staying dry until next week.

Dove Breakwater this morning: 10 to 15 foot viz, small waves so entry and exits no problem & not much surge, 56F water. Not a lot of fish. Trying out a new Polar Pro close up lens for my GoPro so was focusing on small stuff anyway. Raining pretty good when we exited.

There were lots of sea lion pups near the restroom and one on the beach that got some attention from...well...those folks who pay attention to forlorn looking sea lion pups...

max depth 42 feet, 58 minutes.

Had fun, glad I went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom