Giant Stride Entry causes freeflow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty sure he's trying to say the water will smush out of the way rather than smack the regulator at the relatively low speed of a giant stride entry. Not sure it's really relevant, given that the ambient water pressure around the reg and its initial orientation seem like bigger factors in causing a freeflow.

Gotta say that I've never heard those terms mashed together in quite that way in any fluid dynamics class or practical setting.

Lance

the guy said he was concerned about the impact with the water damaging his regulator. He's not going fast enough for the water to act like a solid which is the only real situation where there is enough force to damage the regulator. Reactive newtonian state was not the right term, but couldn't think of the right one and am on business travel so exhaustion won over trying to describe it. "normal" would have probably sufficed. Though it has more to do with kinetic energy than changes in viscosity, either way, you can't move fast enough to get water to behave like anything other than normal water and damage the second stage.

Either way, put most any second stage in the water diaphragm down, mouthpiece up and it will freeflow, that's how they are designed. The servo second stages won't do it, so Poseidons, Oceanic Omega/Hollis 500se, etc. Some of the pancake octos won't do it because the diaphragm is rotated 90* up so they are hard to get to freeflow, though more difficult to breathe, think Apeks Egress, Oceanic Slimline etc. Any "normal" looking second stage, if you're sitting at the surface and you put the reg into the water diaphragm down, mouthpiece up should freeflow, doesn't really matter how fast or how slow you go, it is how the regulator is designed to function. Instead of negative pressure on the inside of the inhalation diaphragm to draw it in, you are putting positive pressure on the outside of the diaphragm. Net result is diaphragm pushes the lever down. How much pressure it takes to do this is the cracking pressure set by the service tech, more cracking pressure harder to freeflow/harder to breathe and vice versa because it is the same physics behind it. Best solution is to plug the mouthpiece where the pressure inside of the case will be enough to keep the diaphragm down, or better yet, just flip it mouthpiece down and it will never be a problem. Mouthpiece up for backrolls though

How on earth do you suggest to cover the mouthpiece with a finger during entry? You should be using hands to secure equipment to your person. Let's just stick a finger into the regulator while jumping in while holding onto your mask, primary reg and anything else that needs be secure!?!?

Besides the fact that the free flow is caused by the diaphragm, not the mouthpiece - your suggestion is impractical as well as erroneous.

I used to have a particularly sensitive Poseidon octo that would freeflow every time I jumped, it didn't result in a catastrophic gas loss but was annoying to the point that I'd rather it didn't happen. my right hand was perfectly capable of holding my mask and primary in place and using integrated weights my left hand was not required to hold my weight buckle, as I am not a Christmas tree diver there was nothing else that needed securing. You mention that the freeflow is caused by the diaphragm, it is but if the rush of air is limited by something like the plug on the scubapro retainer or lets say a finger then it stops the freeflow dead, much like the flow stop on many regulators. My suggestion may well be impractical as well as erroneous to you but to the OP it may help.

Fix the problem???------one way, you could jump with your octo in your mouth, & switch after the jump.....

I used to have my octo secured similarly, same issue, but mine always popped loose due to the free flow. I bought an octo necklace, still happens a bit sometimes but it's in a much more convenient position to deal with now.

How on earth do you suggest to cover the mouthpiece with a finger during entry? You should be using hands to secure equipment to your person. Let's just stick a finger into the regulator while jumping in while holding onto your mask, primary reg and anything else that needs be secure!?!?

Besides the fact that the free flow is caused by the diaphragm, not the mouthpiece - your suggestion is impractical as well as erroneous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If everything is properly secured to you in the first place you don't need to hold anything other than your mask and primary. You can do that with one hand. Leaves the other free to hold the octo.

flop over on your butt as you hit? :):):)

[video=youtube_share;5rh_X-4Ypmc]http://youtu.be/5rh_X-4Ypmc?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom