Nags Head last week of August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going down to Nags Head, NC with a lot of in laws, though I am the only diver. I think I got one, maybe two days of diving for the week we are down there. I see there are a couple of charters down there and I am still thinking which one to take. I have a strong interest in History and wrecks. I dive wrecks (no penetration) up in the cold waters of Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence, have over 60 dives to my name, I'm good on air, and I am a PADI rescue diver. I have always dived with someone I knew personally, but this will be the first time I am going by myself. Would prefer being buddies with someone of similar skill and experience.

You can go out with OBX. With 14 divers on the boat, you should be able to find a qualified buddy and they run a safe boat. They are scheduled to do the Benson on the 30th and the U-85 on the 31st. The U-85 has some great history since it was the first enemy submarine sunk by a US Navy warship in WWII.

Thanks for the suggestion, some of the reviews didn't seem so great, but most of them seem to be from novice divers. The u-701 seems interesting, because of the condition, though is a little deeper and may have a current. My max depth is ~130, I dove that under a really strong current, was very dark and the worst dive ever. Hope the u-701 isn't as bad.

I often dive when I travel. If the dive is special to me in some way, or if it is deeper or challenging I just hire a private DM so that the dive is what i want it to be. If it is something like another shallow reef dive I just instabuddy. For the outer banks I would go with private DM. Then you can go at the pace you want and see what you want. Given all the other costs I have found private DMs a bargain plus fun to talk to.

Thanks for the suggestion, some of the reviews didn't seem so great, but most of them seem to be from novice divers. The u-701 seems interesting, because of the condition, though is a little deeper and may have a current. My max depth is ~130, I dove that under a really strong current, was very dark and the worst dive ever. Hope the u-701 isn't as bad.

The reviews might be from honeymoon divers looking to pampered on the boat. Not going to happen in NC. They do cook hotdogs on the grill between dives, though.

It took me 6 attempts before I finally made it to the U-701 for the first time. Well worth the effort. Scheduled to try for the U-85/U-701 this weekend, in fact. Might be some current, but not expecting it to be dark.

If you want a buddy, PM me and I'll meet you down there. I might be slightly better than the average instabuddy.

It would be worth the drive down to Hatteras if you can get on Lion's Paw or Under Pressure. You will find much warmer, cleaner water on the south side of the shoals. Dave and JT run great boats, both are 6 packs and can be hard to get on. Call as early as possible.

It would be worth the drive down to Hatteras if you can get on Lion's Paw or Under Pressure. You will find much warmer, cleaner water on the south side of the shoals. Dave and JT run great boats, both are 6 packs and can be hard to get on. Call as early as possible.

Agree completely - I prefer the six pack boats. Both have lots of room for 6 divers. Went out with Dave a couple of weeks ago and there were only 5 of us since we had a cancellation and it was nice having all of the room. Bill did get us on the 701 on Saturday, though, with a pretty good current. So many good boats and so little time.

Shame your week, I've been trying to find someone to do shore dives or even sound side (if I can get any further intel) the first week. Good luck on your dive hunt!

I really need to subscribe to these threads. It is a week before I go to nags head. Thanks for your suggestion, I am hoping to get 2 dive trips in.

---------- Post added August 18th, 2014 at 03:24 PM ----------

BAH OBX isn't doing any trips to any u-boats, while i am there. I contacted Roanoke Island Outfitters and they have some spots for U-85. I really want to do a u-boat and a wreck of historic importance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom