What things in diving give you the willies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By way of explanation, I'm an introvert, more a thinker than a hands-on person, not very spontaneous and I don't like surprises or drama. When I face a potentially dangerous situations where self-rescue is preferable to depending on others, and an ounce of prevention is indeed worth a pound of cure, I like to have at least considered what to do so I can think it through if I need to.

Examples:

1.) Sharks are predators and might be tempted by fleeing prey. People on the forum indicate they don't like our bubbles, and maintaining eye contact can deter some, sometimes. Sounds like hold your ground and watch is appropriate, not freak out & flee.

2.) Be careful with boat ladders. I haven't dove really rough seas yet, but I'd like to see those sand tiger sharks off North Carolina someday, so it could happen.

3.) Stay back from people exiting the water.

4.) If you dive in negative & sink with air off, you ought'a be able to fin enough to arrest your descent if not severely overweighted, and turn your valve on. If need be, can ditch weights. If can't breathe and weights were somehow stuck, figuring all this out is awhile to go without breathing, but ditching gear & zipping for the surface is an option. Likely expensive loss of equipment, frustrating and embarrassing, but survivable.

5.) There are big green morays accustomed to hand-outs who approach divers. I don't want one crawling around on me, but that doesn't mean I need to freak out and start beating on it with my camera or fist if one shows up. For a number of animals, 'FREEZE' is a good first response to one in your space. If you don't threaten, it probably don't bite.

6.) I like high viz. water; barracuda aren't likely to attack.

7.) With an SMB, I'd probably be found within a few hours.

8.) If you post an embarrassing video of me on ScubaBoard, you probably won't know it's me so I can probably lay low.

Richard.

P.S.: No alcohol. If I won't do it sober, I don't want to wake up the next day puking and find out I did it while I was drunk.

Saw this little guy in the sea pool at sunset house in cayman when finishing a dive. Actually, my wife saw it. I didn't until she pointed it out. After that, I keep my eyes a little more open!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393474732.007048.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1.) Doing a negative entry & realize I'm sinking fast, my air's off or had a malfunction, and being unable to get buoyant to the surface, drowning. Yes, swimming up, ditching weights, etc..., can deal with this.

2.) Smashing my teeth into a ladder trying to re-board in rough seas, or having the thing zip up, and come down on my head before I grab hold of it.

3.) Getting too close to another diver who's re-boarding, and falls back, his tank smashing me in the face of head.

4.) Being torn into by a large shark (extremely unlikely, but yeah, I saw some Jaws movies growing up).

5.) Large barracuda zipping in & taking my hand off, or the like.

6.) Getting tangled up in a dangerous jelly fish or Portuguese Man-O-War.

7.) A large moray wanting a lion fish handout getting in my space, and going after one of my hands. I like looking at the big greens; not so fond of the idea of one checking me out.

8.) Fear that there'll be buddy separation, my buddy will drown, and I will be blamed.

9.) Being separated by current from the dive boat & lost several hours to a day. Yes, I have an SMB. But I don't carry a bottle of water or a head covering, and getting dehydrated and my face roasted by the tropical sun doesn't sound fun, even if I don't get hypothermic (also a risk).

10.) Fear that someone will film me diving, then post the video on ScubaBoard starting a big discussion of what an awful diver I am, and using me as an example to others of what not to do.

Those are the thoughts that bug me diving.

Richard.
Dude, you must be a blast at parties (I would hate to see how paranoid you would get if stoned...)

Dude, you must be a blast at parties (I would hate to see how paranoid you would get if stoned...)

:rofl3:

I'm an anxious personality type by nature. I share a lot of those that CT Rich posted. I think it's just a matter of separating the rational fears from the irrational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

What gave me the willies as a new diver sort of still does, and that's moving water. Whether it's surf through which I have (incompetently) to enter, or heavy surge, or current -- I don't like feeling like a leaf in the wind. Water is much more powerful than I am, and reminds me of that from time to time (not that I forget). Although a fast drift dive now doesn't frighten me, the way it did when I was new, it's still not my favorite kind of diving.

The other thing I don't like is low viz in midwater, unless I have a solid team. Head movement (such as looking for an errant buddy) in those circumstances will quite reproducibly give me vertigo.

Hanging doing some light deco in NC, I can see the team across from me and all of these barracuda hanging off of their feet moving in and out. I suddenly realize if I turn around, I probably have the same thing going on behind me. Gave me the willies and I never turned around. (Interesting on the same trip, I swam in a compartment with my buddy and a couple of sand tigers and that didn't bother me at all.)

The ladder thing doesn't bother me, but it does put me on high alert. I have had to ride a couple of rough ones out of the water. No willies, but lots of concern.

Every now and then I can start to doubt my location in a cave and that gives me the willies big time. But, only one time was it a real potential situation. I was middle man in a team of three. My first time in the cave, but the other two have been in before, one of them a few times. We get to a point where the dive isn't as described. Front man is kicking up silt and it's getting lower and tighter. I called the dive and we turned. Now the new lead man comes to a full stop after a couple of minutes. Hmmm. Then he moves on...then I come to a full stop...the line ended...WILLIES...looking ahead I see another line...and an arrow...all three of us had turned a blind corner and made a visual jump over a gap without realizing the mainline went around a corner...it turned out to not be a big deal, but had we continued, created a problem with the vis and then run into this at the end of the dive, we might not have 'instantly' realized what we did. When I think back on that, it gives me the willies. I try to remember it often to keep me aware of how easy it is to make a mistake.

... What were the things that made you nervous as a new dive?

Diving with the "kid".

...Either animals or situations?

Never really know, he can play either part quite well...

---------- Post added February 27th, 2014 at 12:01 AM ----------

... The other thing I don't like is low viz in midwater ....

I don't remember that one... :D

Boat propellers. Engines are not supposed to be running with divers in the water, but what if an anchor dragged and they had to deal with it?

1) Surprise dark or silted overheads that didn't come up on the dive briefing for an "open water" dive

2) Taking video of a giant manta, then turning around to see that I had lost all reference to anything around me, except for some vague shadows in the distance, and seeing that the 45' viewing point where I was watching said manta with a group of divers had become 90', and I was all alone. Manta hypnosis ... my bad.

Back
Top Bottom