What things in diving give you the willies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can think of:
Stuff (usually big) that can hurt me--sharks, rays, etc. Iricongi would freak me out if I dived in their area.
Going from OK viz to absolute black, though any viz at all is OK without surge. But not if it's coloured black.

Not so bad willies: Swimming just above 10 foot tall eel (sea) grass. Knowing that only the usual friendly cast of characters live in there, but what if---something else is there. And it either comes out to get me or does so after I lose buoyancy and get entangled in that....

Not so much willies related, but the night before a day of diving/a dive trip i struggle to sleep. I feel like a kid on christmas eve.
Join the club. admission is free. If its a dive vacation up island someone get me a frying pan and hit me with it and wake me in the morning cause its the only way i'm getting to sleep.

Had to ride a bucking ladder, was fully committed, death grip on each side thank goodness, trying to ascend before next roll and boot slipped as boat lurched, leg shot between rungs and next wave hit. Rode it out, extricated leg and made it up intact. Talk about willies, my knees went so weak thinking of all the what if's and how lucky I was to have thigh bone intact. The people still in water having seen this were none too keen to board. One wanted tank off before even attempting. If I had panicked and let go my leg would have still been stuck between and surely been snapped in two (or more), boat surely would have smashed me in head. One other diver froze on ladder puking and didn't realize danger, had to be physically manhandled aboard. It's not always the sea life than can get you.

If you ever dived Cow cave then you know that coming back thru "Not My Fault" the way you get twisted will leave you thinking that you just landed on Mars and have lost the line. In reality, it is right beside your head but you cannot see it due to the mask skirt.

The Lion fish hanging upside down on the ceilings of the cave in Okinawa.

The first golf tee off with a large group watching.

Snakes and gators at the Cooper river.

A gun being pointed at me.

Boats with drunks above me. I can hear the props and the hairs on the back of my neck rise.

Unexploded ordnance in Okinawa.

Cone snails in Okinawa.

Bolo Point when the tides change to a washing machine effect.

A countery boy saying. "hold my beer and watch this s**t."

Fishing lines at Bolo Point.

Just diving while others in the water are spear fishing.

A lieutenant saying. "Based on my experience..."

When I first started diving I use to dislike Long surface swims, especially in deep water (Jaws theme song). Now I fear becoming too comfortable/over-confident and making a mistake that could have been otherwise nonexistent or mitigated.

Once when my dive partner and I were surfacing swimming near shore and saw a group of three people in scuba gear having a very hard time entering the water from the shore and having a hard time surface swimming. Something just didn't seem right so I gave them the signal to see if they were "ok" and they ignored it, so I got closer to them and asked them if everything was ok, and they said "yes, just new gear." About 15 or so minutes later I was filming sea lions at a depth of about 60ft, when the group of three divers appeared holding hands and inflating/deflating the middle divers BC, and were kicking the ground/rocks/fish habitats the whole time. They continued to kick the ground as they went right in front of me then turned and I had to move out of their way or else they would have swam right into me. They continued to swim/kick/walk on the ocean floor in the general direction of the beach. Later as my dive partner and I were taking our fins off and getting ready to walk back up the beach, we noticed the group of three divers getting rolled in the surf; luckily they were able to help each other. Later another group of divers that we knew said that they overheard the group of three individuals saying how amazing their dive was and that they were able to dive without being certified divers (hence the new brand new gear). Stuff like that gives me the willies.

Divers I know who solo dive without much experience or proper equipment, and who routinely skip post-dive maintenance and buddy checks.

Also Lion's Mane jellies. I know they can't kill me, but they just look so dark and threatening. I'll never forget the first one I saw underwater...

Last edited:
I did my first night dive this past weekend at our local quarry. I have always been a little apprehensive of dark water. As we were swimming out to the buoy line where we were to descend, I felt something brush against my leg. I look around and see my group about 2 meters ahead of me so it couldn't have been someone's fin or something. The only thing I can think of is that I swam above someone's bubbles. :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom