Water Temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll be in Cozumel in a week and not sure if I need to pack a full suit or just a shortie with a hood. Trying to keep room for other stuff...
What is the temperature.
Thanks

It's been a bit warmer than usual for this time of year. I've been pulling 81 F consistently and foregoing the 3 mm hooded vest I usually wear under my 5/4 mm full suit. And have been just fine on 1.5 hour long dives. Usually this time of year, I am getting water temps of about 79 F.

I was there last week, one dive in common with MMM. I was happy in a full 3mm (but 7yrs old) but depends a lot on how relatively warm you stay when diving
compared to other. I saw divers who used full 5mm suits with hoods down to 3mm short arm/legs, all of whom were happy.
Not sure if this provides any more info than MMM's post, but at least its another data point.

Canadians may have more tolerance to cold than me, but when I was in Coz in early December, my buddies and I initially dove with 3/2 full suits, and on cool/rainy/cloudy/windy days (of which we had several) we really got chilled by the end of the dive and were shivering back on the boat. After a couple of days of being uncomfortable, I switched to a 5/4 and was much happier. I think it's not just the water temperature; the weather makes a difference. If I exit the water already cold, it's harder for me to warm up during the surface interval when the weather is cool/rainy/cloudy/windy.

My op gives me a waterproof fleece hooded jacket for those kind of days. I'm OK if the sun is out. But if it isn't, then I want a jacket!

Canadians may have more tolerance to cold than me, but when I was in Coz in early December, my buddies and I initially dove with 3/2 full suits, and on cool/rainy/cloudy/windy days (of which we had several) we really got chilled by the end of the dive and were shivering back on the boat. After a couple of days of being uncomfortable, I switched to a 5/4 and was much happier. I think it's not just the water temperature; the weather makes a difference. If I exit the water already cold, it's harder for me to warm up during the surface interval when the weather is cool/rainy/cloudy/windy.

My op gives me a waterproof fleece hooded jacket for those kind of days. I'm OK if the sun is out. But if it isn't, then I want a jacket!

I saw the Aldora divers wearing them. Hmmph. We had towels to wrap around ourselves, but my point was that if I'm already chilled at the end of the dive it's harder for me to warm up during the SI no matter what.

Lorenzoid, I have found that if I will strip the top off the wetsuit and let the wind dry me, very quickly the sun is warming me and I am no longer cold at all, while the others shiver and wrap in towels with their wetsuits on. I am cold for just a little bit, and even less if I dry off with a towel first. Then Im as warm as I was before I rolled into the big pond! Works for me, anyway...

81f is quite comfortable! I'll bring the shortie and a hooded vest, I have a 5/4mm suit and when used in 73f I get a little chilled after 90 minute scooter rides, but warm up quickly once out of the water and or physically moving. I'm diving with Blue Angel and not sure how long the dives will be, hopefully an hour or so and therefore hope to be fine. As people have discussed I'll bring a fleece if needed during the surface interval.
I was in Cozumel once before, middle end of February, 20 years ago and dove twice a day plus 2 night dives only wearing shorts.

It's been a bit warmer than usual for this time of year. I've been pulling 81 F consistently and foregoing the 3 mm hooded vest I usually wear under my 5/4 mm full suit. And have been just fine on 1.5 hour long dives. Usually this time of year, I am getting water temps of about 79 F.

I always bring 2 wetsuits for a 2 tank dive. I take my wetsuit off between dives to warm up and put the dry one on for the 2nd dive. One of my favorite scuba buys ever is a long warm dive parka I use between and after dives. I might not use it in the summer but its a must have for me in the winter. The air is sometimes colder than the water. In February, I wear either a 3 mil or a 4th Element Thermoclime farmer Jane and top and I wear a hat or beanie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom