Travel Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rarely buy travel insurance, I'd rather self insure given the cost and the possible hassle of actually collecting. I think you have to look at trips on a case by case basis, and decide based on how much the insurance costs, how likely you are to have a covered problem on a given trip, and maybe how long it is until the trip. I'm sure the price of travel insurance takes this into account, assuming people tend to buy insurance more for higher risk trips, so for a low-risk trip you'd be paying a lot compared to the risk. Insurance is probably more important for a liveaboard since there is less flexibility there, but make sure the insurance will actually cover it.

Think about what your losses might actually be. Even non-refundable air tickets can generally be reused for a fee as long as you cancel before the flight. So you're not out the whole price of the ticket. If you need to cancel due to something like a death, with documentation you may be able to do it without a fee. Even prepaid non-refundable accommodations and diving you may be able to at least reschedule if you talk to them, especially if it was due to a death or real emergency. ("My boss wouldn't let me go" is less likely to elicit much sympathy.)

If you have a days delay due to flight issues, you might try to get the airline to also move the return trip assuming you can contact the resort and move your dates. I think if you contacted a resort and said you needed to arrive and leave a day later due the airline messing you up, and they had room so they wouldn't lose anything anyway, most would be willing to do that.

If you're using something like frequent flier tickets or a timeshare you might see it as a loss, but from what I've read in the fine print I don't think you can get anything out of travel insurance anyway in that case.

I figure I am way ahead of the game. I've traveled a lot and there's only a couple times I might have used insurance. One was a trip I had to cancel due to a death in the family. While it would have been more convenient to just get a check and bag the whole thing, in fact I was able to reuse the tickets without a fee and the resort allowed me to reschedule the hotel/diving within a year, so I didn't really lose anything. And I've gotten stuck in airport hotels for a night on the way home due to weather once or twice, but I really don't care about little stuff like that.

People sometimes say you should buy travel insurance if you can't "afford the loss." That statement makes sense to me for something like home insurance but not for travel insurance. You've presumably paid for the trip already, so by definition you can afford it. The issue is actually whether you can afford to go on the trip another time. But a dive trip is optional. While it would suck to lose the money and not be able to do the trip, it's not like your house burning down and not being able to afford a new one.

Damselfish makes good points, all. Trip Insurance is probably most important for package deals that are Use-or-Lose other than air fare, more so for packages that include air. Good to review case by case, and insure only what needs to be insured...

On the other hand, I was in Cozumel once with a group that broke up and evacuated in haste before a Cat-5 hurricane could land. We'd discussed trip insurance extensively before we went, most didn't get it, and some of those paid enormous amounts to buy any ticket they could find. One of those went on to lose a similar package with the same group a few years later when he had to cancel for personal reasons.

I just like to minimize risks when I travel now. I used to not care really, the more adventure the better, but nowadays I like a degree of security - and to know I can be reimbursed if I have to cut & run.

I have year-round travel insurance thats valid on all my trips away from my home, including work-related trips for any timeframe up to 7 weeks.
It covers recreational diving as well as luggage and cancellations up to 5230 USD each, legal fees up to 3500 USD, liability up to 1 046 000 USD, invalidity or death up to 17400 USD (Like Id need money if Im dead), and not least UNLIMITED medical and repatriation expenses. All ammounts are in NKR to USD exchange rates per today 8am CET.

Best of all? It save me money on my total insurance fees to hold the travel insurance as it triggers bonuses on all my insurances because Ive got several insurances within the same insurance company..

as always great information guys .
Thanks
Michael

Can you tell me of any experiences with DAN trip insurance, I am mainly after medical and will be overseas for a long time, the price they quoted me was cheap, too cheap, so I called and asked about the policy.....Can anyone else share experiences with DAN Travel insurance?

I did not recognize where exactly you were from, but I can tell you in the United States, most commercial health insurance policies do not cover international travel. That means that if you need any medical treatment, from minor to major, in a foreign country, you are responsible for the bill, usually in cash, before you leave the treatment facility, or the hospital. If you have a corneal abrasion, or an ear infection, you probably will have the cash on you. If you have a major accident, or your appendix decides to rupture, you might not.

It really depends on your personal wealth. If you have lots of cash on hand or in the bank, forget the insurance. If you are like most people where I live, get the insurance for a little extra. I want to be able to come from Mexico the next time I go there.

Db

Dive assure covers one while on international travel. It's primary insurance which is why I like it. DAN is secondary coverage which is not a bad thing. Make sure you understand the difference.

I did not recognize where exactly you were from, but I can tell you in the United States, most commercial health insurance policies do not cover international travel. That means that if you need any medical treatment, from minor to major, in a foreign country, you are responsible for the bill, usually in cash, before you leave the treatment facility, or the hospital. If you have a corneal abrasion, or an ear infection, you probably will have the cash on you. If you have a major accident, or your appendix decides to rupture, you might not.

It really depends on your personal wealth. If you have lots of cash on hand or in the bank, forget the insurance. If you are like most people where I live, get the insurance for a little extra. I want to be able to come from Mexico the next time I go there.

Db

Hey scuba peeps :coffee:

I am heading in the end of september on a trip back to the states. We will be heading to Key Largo for some training and diving then on to St Croix for some more diving. Now I have never used any kind of trip insurance and just want to know if its worth it and what does it cover. I was looking at the DAN program and it really does not explain a lot.

Cheers
Michael

If you have renter's insurance, oftentimes that covers quite a lot including stolen gear, which is a lot more than what some traveler's insurance offer. Depending on your insurance, they could also offer some sort of coverage for delayed/cancelled trips. Check it out.

Db

The biggest insurance carriers (Blue Cross / Blue Shield / Kaiser) all do cover emergency medical while traveling internationally. The catch though is you pay up front for medical service (full price) before you leave. The insurance companies will reimburse you later, but only at their "reasonable and customary rate" which is based on the discounts they get from their participating medical providers. This may what you paid, or it could be a lot less. Its rarely based on what you paid.

So you can be caught in a nasty cash flow situation and should the insurance company underpay, you are screwed. This is the whole reason DAN Insurance exist.

Lots of good points - except one - car rental insurance, Loss Damage Waiver, full or partial liability (one side, both sides).

I would have been better off - if I read things correctly - getting the full DAN travel insurance (on top of our being DAN members with dive insurance), because the car I rented in Grand Cayman, my Canadian auto insurance company did not cover me, neither did my Mastercard travel insurance.

So if you plan on renting a car, see if you travel insurance covers that too. My 8 day rental cost me nearly 400$ for full liability - so if by example the travel insurance is 20% of your total trip cost - and includes the car, then it might be worth it.

In the US - what I like is getting only the LDW @ 9$ per day. That covers :
- loss of rental days while being repaired - charged to your credit card
- loss of value due to an accident - charged to your credit card

A fender-bender won't affect the resell value of a car, but any structural damage where a paint & refinish is done, drops the value of the car.

I have double-checked with my auto insurance co, and credit card co, *neither* will allow me to reclaim what the LDW covers.
A friend that got hit in the side, thus doors damaged, was charged a few days of non-rental and some 2k$ in resell value lost.

He contested and lost - because when you deny the LDW - they make you fill out a form and sign it - saying that you be hit with the above.

This varies from company to company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom