Note to Self... STOP Losing Gear!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to my local dive spot, walked into the shop, bought a new dive light and within about 10 minutes lost it in the bottom of the quarry on the the swim out to where we were going to descend. Never did find it, nor was it returned to "lost and found". Learned a valuable lesson about making sure stuff is secured.

I have never lost anything in 25 years. However if I bring any gear home, my wife tosses it in the dustbin. My work is not allowed into the house.

Never lost anything...
Although I watched my wife/buddy toss some gear off the deck of the Spiegel, so she could watch it float down... that was on a dive she insisted she wasn't narced...

The $100 backup light she tossed, that we didn't retrieve, wasn't ours... so I figure my non-loss record is intact... oh, but might've lost a friend/gear-lender on that trip... does that count?

The fellow I was diving with tonight lost his DSLR rig (about $5K worth) on a dive we were doing in the San Juan Islands a couple years ago. He and some buddies went back a week later and found it wedged into some boulders at about 60 fsw ....

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lost: 1 snorkel, 1 10 lb. wt., 1 2lb. wt., net bag, knife out of holster.
Found: small split fins (fit without needing booties), mask with snorkel, huge catch bag.

Trying to enter the surf through rocks at Jaffa (near Tel Aviv), I kept being knocked over by the waves. We finally called the dive before ever getting to the deep water. On the way back to the beach through the rocks, I dropped my Jetfins. One of my buddies grabbed one of them, the other one was not to be found. I bought a new pair, so now I have 3.

Was wearing a shorty wetsuit that day, so I lost a bit of blood too, as arms and legs made contact with the not-so-friendly rocks.

Although I watched my wife/buddy toss some gear off the deck of the Spiegel, so she could watch it float down... that was on a dive she insisted she wasn't narced... ?

Not sure if I understand it, but you're saying she was just tossing gear off the boat into the water and watching it? Most scuba stuff sinks, doesn't it? Must have been a really big brain fart that day.

Being new, I still haven't lost anything yet (hopefully the streak continues), but from this thread, now I know which buddies to dive with to find good, "lost" gear.

I lost my brand new $300 camera the first time I took it out of the box. I also left a $30 pair of boots on a picnic table. I lost a weight pocket twice but fortunately it was found each time. I've only been certified for 3 months so I'm on a roll. :)

I've lost a few spools that weren't clipped off well during back rolls off the side in Coz. Almost lost a reel a few times during my tec training. Besides that I've been pretty lucky.

Now if you're counting the number of times I've lost my coffee, keys or wallet the list would be miles long :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand others accidentally packing your gear in a hurry thinking its theirs. I've seen my buddies do that to others but they always return it to the owner after they've discovered its not their gear. I was hoping that was the case for my Light Monkey Rat Jr and the soft weights at the local quarry but no one has returned them.

Yep, that's me, the lone diver stimulating our desperate economy. :rofl3:

luckily though, being in NYC, you're just down the street from LeisurePro.

Back
Top Bottom