Note to Self... STOP Losing Gear!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the found column:

1. Vintage Dacor mega knife.
2. Orange faced Doxa dive watch.
3. A Beefstick Rod and Penn Reel.
4. A Seadoo?? scooter.

I was not able to retrieve the reel nor the camera when I discovered they were gone. I started to go after them but then my instructor's voice came into my head about not chasing after your gear, if you can't offer to lost it, you should not be in diving. You can get very single-minded chasing gear and not realize depth or direction or gas remaining. In both incidents I started swimming away from my buddy toward the gear which immediately woke me up to what was more important...my life as well as my buddy's life.

Sam, I remember that day. And thought that sentiment was most profound, a truly positive attitude.

There was a time when I lost all my kit out the back of the boat. My DSS camo wing with a kydex plate, atomic regs, an HP 120 tank along with all my reels and a 10W HID. People were amazed that I wasn't upset. It's only gear and no one got hurt. During their surface interval they went back to where they thought it might be and looked. Moose, my best friend actually FOUND it right where he descended. WHOA! Karma is a great thing. I'm not sure what I did right, but getting that back, finding my SO and even ScubaBoard has made me feel like one lucky ducky dude! :D

And Pete, yes that was definitely a lucky strike! Glad that Moose found your rig, or you would have missed those pesky bull sharks on our second dive. :shocked2:

Seems like a rite of passage and I hope I've sacrificed enough gear to the scuba God. From a statistical standpoint I should be good for some time. :D

Thanks everyone!

My father and I scoured our local dive hole after his weight buckle snapped and he lost $100 of coated lead. We eventually found it, but I cannot imagine either of us not spending many hours looking for something as valuable as a camera.

Not dive gear, strictly speaking, but if you see a divemaster in Dumaguete sporting a brand new, $200 pair of Vuarnet sunglasses, he probably found mine--hopefully not in my equipment nook, but I wouldn't rule it out. I had to go with the back-up RayBans the rest of the week.

Seems like a rite of passage and I hope I've sacrificed enough gear to the scuba God. From a statistical standpoint I should be good for some time. :D

Thanks everyone!

Gretel, wouldn't bread crumbs be less expensive?

Signed

Hansel

DC

A lost camera in Aruba shut down ScubaBoard one day. I remember that well. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom