Note to Self... STOP Losing Gear!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fellow I was diving with tonight lost his DSLR rig (about $5K worth) on a dive we were doing in the San Juan Islands a couple years ago. He and some buddies went back a week later and found it wedged into some boulders at about 60 fsw ....

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hope they went right out and bought a Lotto ticket after that, since they were obviously on a roll. :wink:

My wife and I were diving in Cozumel, and after our last dive, we packed everything up, put in our mesh bags, and carted it back to the hotel. At the hotel, we couldn't find here Aeris wrist-mount computer as I was repacking everything into our travel bags. We looked everywhere, called the dive shop and asked them if they had one turned in, but to no avail. It was brand new, and these were the first dives for her on it, so needless to say, it was special (her prior computer had been my hand-me-down Cobra when I "upgraded" to a Cobra 2).

She was distraught, and as soon as we landed and got home, I was on-line with Leisure Pro and had one in the mail to us the next day. Since we got back on a Sunday, I didn't have a chance to clean the gear until the following Saturday. While cleaning her fins, I slipped my hand into the foot pocket of one of them and, lo and behold, there resided an Aeris wrist mount computer.

Leisure Pro was good enough to take the un-opened one back, without question. Since that time, we have gone out of our way to ensure that when we stow a piece of dive gear, we disclose to the other just exactly where we put whatever it is.

On the find side, I brought back a weight pocket after a dive once that just coincidently matched her BC pockets perfectly, so instant, free, spare. We gave the weight to the dive shop we were diving with. I assume that somewhere out there, someone else need a pocket?

And on the topic of lanyards, even though I have an entry level Olympus camera and housing, it is always attached to a coiled lanyard whenever I hit the water. I notice a lot of divers with more expensive cameras don't do that, but even as inexpensive as my "rig" is, I don't think I could afford to lose it.

Sam - I feel for you!

I haven't lost any gear until this month. Last week I went diving in Catalina with my daughter. I gave her one of my extra flashlights which she stowed in the pocket of her rental BC. When we came home I showed her my new UK 4C divelight I just bought for night dives. Her jaw dropped, not with admiration of my new light but she suddenly realized that she had left the light I gave her in the pocket of her rental BC. It is cheaper to buy a new light than a ticket to Catalina to retrieve it.

But, when I was getting all my gear ready for my dive I couldn't find my hood. Looked all over the house and it's just nowhere to be found. In retrospect I think it may be with my daughter's dive light. :wink:

The other thing I've lost is the weight in my wallet from constantly buying scuba gear!

It has occured to me that we've "lost" a couple other things than what I mentioned in my first post to this thread.

Sue generally removes her BCD in the water and we hand it up to the boat crew. This is not laziness. We were in a motorcycle crash in 2004. Both with multiple broken ribs, pneumos, etc. And she had two completely destroyed vertebrae. T-6 was about 3/8" tall (should be around 1"...) with fragments pushing into the spinal canal. Nasty. Those two vertebrae are titanium now, and although she is fine, we elect to minimize strain when climbing the ladder. Anyway... she reached for the waist buckle and, instead, grabbed the buckle on the weight pouch of her LadyHawk. Down go the weights. Couple days later, we dove the same area, but this time we entered just up current from where we exited the first time. Found her weight pouch.

Our friend Kim dropped a (borrowed) light getting back into the boat after her first night dive. Our buddy Alvaro from AlwaysDiving.com told her no problem, he could add the cost of the light to her dive bill, but boy, it was a really expensive light... (it wasn't, you can buy them at scuba.com for about $50...). After scaring her a little, he dropped back down (about 40FSW) and found it. Doesn't sound like a big deal, really, unless you know that there was a fair current, and she'd turned off the light. Lesson learned. :)

I just recalled a funny incident. I was diving with my camera in an Ikelite housing. Back on the boat after the dive, another diver hands me some "trash" she had found during the dive, since I was standing next to the garbage can. Looking at the three pieces, one looked very familiar.... turns out it was the "flash shield" from my housing. Apparently the tether that connected it to the camera had broken, probably during my giant stride. Glad she was diligent about cleaning up trash, VERY glad I was standing next to the garbage can.

Mike you just reminded me of a dive the kids and I did in Culebra. Midway threw the dive the Op owner swam up next to me, and handed me my wallet! Seems I forgot to stow it after we left the shop, and left it in my swim suit pocket, and it slipped out during the dive!

Mike you just reminded me of a dive the kids and I did in Culebra. Midway threw the dive the Op owner swam up next to me, and handed me my wallet! Seems I forgot to stow it after we left the shop, and left it in my swim suit pocket, and it slipped out during the dive!

I am definitely following you on the next dive Jim :thumb:

Jim - You didn't drop any wallets during our dives in Bonaire!! :scorned:

On a recent dive my buddy lost his camera. He puts floaties on his camera to make it positively bouyant, so when we were all back on the boat, he had the boat follow the current, looked around and was able to find his camera floating at the surface. We were impressed, even floating it's still a big ocean although it's probably easier finding it up top than below.

Otoh, I've started labeling everything I own, including all the little things. I figure it's much easier for things to get back to me if someone has an idea where it should go. I haven't yet lost anything, but have found plenty of stuff.

And on the topic of lanyards, even though I have an entry level Olympus camera and housing, it is always attached to a coiled lanyard whenever I hit the water. I notice a lot of divers with more expensive cameras don't do that, but even as inexpensive as my "rig" is, I don't think I could afford to lose it.

I started using a coiled lanyard on my camera as well. Before doing so, I nearly lost the camera on my second dive. I normally loop the camera's string lanyard to my wrist and let it hang. On that dive I was distracted by a good shot and forgot to do that. I didn't even notice the lack of weight when I let the camera go because it is only slightly negative. Luckily we were still over sand, not over the wall, and luckily the dive master was looking back at me as the camera drifted slowly down.

I am definitely following you on the next dive Jim :thumb:

Jim - You didn't drop any wallets during our dives in Bonaire!! :scorned:

I find that being known for occasionally dropping objects of value, I tend to aquire very attentive buddies! :D

I started using a coiled lanyard on my camera as well. Before doing so, I nearly lost the camera on my second dive. I normally loop the camera's string lanyard to my wrist and let it hang. On that dive I was distracted by a good shot and forgot to do that. I didn't even notice the lack of weight when I let the camera go because it is only slightly negative. Luckily we were still over sand, not over the wall, and luckily the dive master was looking back at me as the camera drifted slowly down.

I used to slide the bungie on my DC500 up past my elbow, and cinch it. That seem to work well for years, but on one dive in St Thomas I suddenly discovered that it had slipped off.

Because of high seas we did not have a chance to return to that site for @3 days, but when we did get back another diver spotted the bungie hung up on coral and returned the camera to me. It had drifted quite a bit from where I believe I probably lost it. Of course later the same year I lunched that camera by leakage on Bonaire, on the very next dive trip, in fact. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom