Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon one-piece harness.

DSS hog harness.

Cheap. Reliable. Works.

As for the sternum strap that should be discussed during a buddy check and all the types of sternum strap I've come across can easily be opened with a squeeze even with the thickest gloves on. Also these straps are nothing new they are used on the majority of jacket BCD and divers should be fully aware of them and they should not cause a dive accident victim to become a strangulation victim.

The only issue that I've had with a sternum strap was that it interfered/obstructed/cluttered the chest inflate on my drysuit. I barely noticed it up until I had an emergency underwater...and then it really added to my stress level.

I cut off the sternum strap that evening and have never worn one since.

Sternum straps can be beneficial with poodle jackets, because generally they fit like a wallowy whale turd. However, with a well-fitted BP&W, that has a crotch strap, I can only see a sternum strap as a completely unnecessary gadget that exists for marketing purposes only.

As for breakage of releases due to weights or tanks dropped on them this might actually happen when all the planets align but if you are careful with your gear it may never happen even after thousands of dives.

Having worked in the dive industry, I have seen those planets align for many divers on many occasions. It's always funny when you know someone has lugged a BCD across the globe for their dream diving holiday...and then ends up with a rental because a little piece of plastic on the harness broke...

As for those times for whe the stars and planets do align even a kit with a HOG harness is not immune from disaster. A slip with a knife or a tank on the loose can end or cancel any dive.

Exactly what are you talking about?? You can bang a tank on my Hog harness all day...there's nothing to break. Would have to be one hell of a 'slip' to severe the webbing. ha ha ha Just hope the webbing wasn't worn when you 'slipped' like that with a knife... I think the harness would be the last thing on your mind!!

Maybe you should have considered the location of the inflator on your drysuit before it became a problem? Not every drysuit inflator is located exactly the same and that problem may not effect every diver or drysuit.

Very true. I was only speaking of my own experiences, not generalising. I was a novice diver at the time - which fits the profile of many viewers on this thread who would be considering harness options.

The reason that I used this story was to illustrate that there can be drawbacks... and that those drawbacks can be critical in an emergency.

Sorry but I disagree. I Dive with a sternum strap and a crotch strap on my harness.......I find that the position of the shoulder straps is not optimal for me without the sternum strap. The sternum strap aids in the positioning of the shoulder straps and adds to my overall comfort.

I am baffled that you have this issue. What position do you dive in? With proper trim, the shoulder straps are not load bearing, so their precise positioning is inconsequential.

Do you mean 'comfort whilst walking to and from the dive site'?

Then having worked in the dive industry you should also be aware of the thousands of dives that are experience daily without incident while using gear that has these plastic releases on the BCD.

So, if the average diver only has 10% of their dive holidays ruined, that is ok?

There are hundreds of time more BCD sold and used daily that have releases of this type then those that do not. Breakage is rare and usually due to negligence.

You obviously don't have responsibility for equipment maintenance at your centre. :rofl3:

If I drop a tank and it lands on the buckle of your waist strap it will likely bend it enough to require it's replacement.

Yep...and a waist buckle takes 5 minutes to replace because it is not sewn in. I normally carry a spare buckle in my parts kit.

However, a plastic QR buckle needs to be sewn in. It isn't something that can be resolved quickly...and often cannot be resolved at all in a dive centre.

If it hits the wing it may cause a pinch and require repair. A good sharp knife can ruin a wing or harness. The point was to protect your gear from others be aware and not leave it in harms way laying on deck or where others may have access to it.

Very true. But sometimes accidents do happen. When they do happen, it is preferable to have metal, rather than plastic. A webbing harness can be replaced in 10 minutes...all you need is a few metres of webbing. You can't break metal D-rings. A pre-built, sewn together, plastic buckled harness takes a lot more time and resources to fix.

There's nothing on a basic Hog harness that can't be replaced in 10 minutes flat. Furthermore, there is little to break on that harness. If you could say the same about a comfort/deluxe harness then fair enough... but you cannot.

straight up simplicity. i added a few more places to hook things onto, but nothing that gets in the way.

I'm sure this will ruffle a few feathers, but I rarely use my BP/W because of the one piece harness on it. Not only is it difficult to get into (yoga is not one of my activities), but far more importantly... it is difficult to get out of! Were something to happen underwater that required me to remove my BP/W, that could mean the difference between life and death.

I realize others will not like the added failure points, but I dive with a soft backpack and wing that has quick releases on it.

Of course one of the major reasons I want this added margin of safety is that I am usually a solo diver and have no buddy to help extricate me from the BP/W should it become necessary.

Descriptions don't seem to be working for me.... Can someone post a photo (With pink webbing would be great! But I would settle for any webbing really! :) ) Of a BP harness with the webbing rigged crossed. The only way I can picture this ends up like an old picture of Pancho Villa in a bad western movie.

Thanks,
Guy
:)

Descriptions don't seem to be working for me.... Can someone post a photo (With pink webbing would be great! But I would settle for any webbing really! :) ) Of a BP harness with the webbing rigged crossed. The only way I can picture this ends up like an old picture of Pancho Villa in a bad western movie.

Thanks,
Guy
:)

No pics but I'll take one more stab at it.

Conventionally the webbing passes over the top of the back plate and passes straight down each side to the lower slots, left top to left bottom etc.

When crossed the left side is threaded to the right lower slot and the right side is threaded to the left lower slot.

The webbing crosses above the plate, but behind the divers neck.

Tobin

I'll try to get a picture of my setup. It's really quite simple.

Bill, if you have trouble getting out of a simple harness, it's too tight. It's that easy. Properly adjusted, with long enough shoulder straps and a snug crotch strap, it is utterly trivial to get out of a simple harness in a wetsuit. A drysuit is a bit more work, and dry gloves and wrist gauges make it slower, too, but in a wetsuit . . . I can be out of my rig in seconds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom