Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wow I have used the search bar like crazy and have read hundreds of posts and now just want to know why divers pick a different Harness over the other. I'll be in the market for a BP/W in the future and will most likely get my rig from DSS. The harness seems like the most intimate part of the rig and just want opinions.

Why did you pick the harness you have now?
Which style is it HOG,DR,quick release, or REC-TEC combo?
Is it just simple or full of the bells and whistles?
Why do you perfer this Model/Style over another

Thank you guys:bonk:

Standard one-piece hog rig ... because it's simple to use, and cheap to replace ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Standard one-piece hog rig ... because it's simple to use, and cheap to replace ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What he said.

I have a halcyon harness. I thougt it would be much harder to get used to it because it doesn't have any of the fancy stuff a BCD has. Two days of diving with it, I'm totally comfortable (so is my girlfriend that got the harness the same day I did). Can't go wrong.

I wear my Wing with basic one piece webbing. It will have 4 d-rings only. One of the advantages of diving with BP wing is that it enables me to travel light and dive naked. I have never used those padded harnesses with a lot of d rings and pockets etc but they look like jackets and I would have gotten a jacket or a back inflate bcd if I wanted to dive with all that volume.

Hog harness for me. Without the shoulder padding in the way, backup lights lay nice and flat.
The simple webbing harness allows you to position the chest d-rings exactly where you want.
The padding isn't necessary, whatever exposure protection your wearing will provide plenty of padding.
-Mitch

As you can see by my dive count, I'm not a very experienced diver. But for what it is worth, I use the basic one-piece webbing harness. The first time I wore a bp/w it was a rental that had a one-piece harness (Halcyon), and it seemed perfectly comfortable and gave me a nice "free" feeling (as compared to other set-ups), so I didn't see any reason to go to anything more complex or full-featured.

I've been really happy with what I have (DSS hogarthian harness), and it was comfortable even with only a Lycra skin/shirt beneath it. This was for single-tank dives of an hour (but up to four per day/multiple days in a row).

Hog harness it has no plastic buckles on it to break. I remember being preached to at one time in my life. I was told to remember the phrase " K.I.S.S." Which means keep it simple stupid. Not calling you stupid it is just an expression.:D

I went with the deluxe harness from diverite. It had the chest strap, which I have since removed.
It also has a quick release buckle. I thought I would need this as I have a bad shoulder, but with about 50 dives on it have not used the buckle once.
My next harness will be the webbing only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom