Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a growing trend to scream "ITS DIR IM NOT DOING IT" when any form of tech discussion arises.
DIR didn't invent tech diving, its one of the newest on the scene, most of its ideas are taken from elsewhere. Tech diving isnt DIR diving and vice versa.

HOWEVER, there is a reason a lot of technical divers from all agencies with different backgrounds and experience converge on similar equipment setups and techniques. This isn't due to wanting to be a DIR clone its because that equipment and those techniques have been proven to work effectively and safely over hundreds of thousands potentially millions of dives. People tend to adopt working effective systems for that reason alone!
So when you see someone with a long hose, a 1 piece harness, wing or similar its not because they want to be DIR its because they've picked equipment proven to work for that type of diving they do. Its just common sense!

Recreational diving with always clear access to a surface, always a buddy and so on you can get away with as many failure points as you want, worst case you just surface immediately. Technical diving you most often WONT have clear surface access (hard or soft ceiling) and may not have a buddy. Then any failure is potentially far more serious so more steps are taken to reduce the chances of anything happening and reducing failure points.
OK so something like a clip might only have a 1 in 10,000 chance of failing. In recreational if it fails its not a problem so fine, use it. In technical diving why take that risk? Simply eliminate the clip and further reduce the chance of something breaking!

Chances are a broken clip isnt going to kill you or even hurt you but it can make for a really uncomfortable final few hours of your dive if its rolling around everywhere so why chance it?

Why do i use a one piece harness on both my recreational and tech gear? Its incredibly simple, very robust, has nothing to break, is infinitely adjustable in terms of fit and d-ring number,location,movement. Its guaranteed 100% to fit me perfectly and isnt going to budge. Its extremely cheap to buy and make meaning you can completely replace it when worn unlike the other types. Given that i see no reason for me to pay more for a harness that is less hard wearing, less customisable with more things on that break. I don't need releases or clips so have no need to dive with them!

As a novice diver with limited flexibility in my shoulder area due to heavy weight training as a younger lad and not stretching properly :-( I find that my Halcyon is very easy to get out of in any situation to to the simplicity and lack of dangling things......one buckle and she slides right off with a little wiggle.

I do find it a tad harder to get on although it's a matter of seconds......

Why want it let me go to page #17 when I click on it? This happened to a few of us the other day.

Ive only got 6 pages...But then i again i do display more posts per page:)

I like my Dive Rite Trans Plate system. All be it a modified harness poodle jacket I love it! :D

Plastic parts,clips & buckles but dove the crap out of BCD jackets years & years back in cold & dark scary waters no breakage! maybe some shrinkage! Oh that’s another forum!!:)

Diving thoughts and associations and groups,gurus and traing agencies, My god each year I count another one as in= a agency or mind set, or style change some for the good some I don't know some what ever floats your boat.

Allot of it is evolution and makes sense for those who use it kind of like a religion! not to mix scuba and religion!! :shocked2:

Most systems,training thoughts,groups and styles have there popouse for the type of dive you plan on doing.

I like a multi functional system (that can be used for different types of dive's) easily! And I leave it at that-my way works for me !I don’t push my way on no one but don’t dive with every one any more! But will always extend a open hand to a new diver to go over configurations the pro’s and cons in my opinion and only my opinion and take that diver on dives with in their training any time as none of us were born technical divers DIR,HOG,Ect,,, We all started out at the beginning and some of you all be it too quickly forget THAT!!!!:no:

The start of this way too long thread was what type of harness and (hog) had its major voters its simple< and yes that says it all! It is! But this is only in the Advanced thread not technical diving or on the Deco Stop.
*No harness system is going to kill ( ANY DIVER) no way no how !
* But OOA,Life support failure,Lack of training & proper service of equipment will and sadly dose in that order
Just my 2 cent’s

Firstly, I am not a 'DIR type'. I've said that before.

Secondly, any diver who uses line within a cave or wreck should make an effort to minimise the likelihood of entanglement. That's not DIR... that's just common sense.

I am not saying that divers will die. Entanglement is a PITA...and in the worst instance may require the guideline to be cut. It's better to avoid that scenario completely. Good line skills, buoyancy and propulsion are the key aspects to that. Minimising any snag points is another.

Guess what? Not every diver does penetration dives.

It is both. Not every diver uses line within a cave or wreck. Most divers enjoy simple OW recreational diving. For them, the drawback of complex harnesses may be the possibility of buckle failure/breakage - which could ruin a dive or a diving trip.

It's not an earth-shaking factor in the selection of a harness - but it is still a factor that a diver should be aware of when selecting and investing in their equipment. Nothing more, nothing less.

If it's not an earth shattering factor then why are you and the HOG harness people so adamant that it's wrong to use anything else? Tens of thousands of divers do vacation dive trips every year. If broken buckles were that big of an issue, then they would have voiced their feedbacks and the manufacturers would have reverted to single-piece harnesses a long time ago. It's an issue for YOU but it's not an issue for ME or a lot of other people.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about tech/DIR/cave...whatever. With all due respect... it does make you over-react and leap to assumptions. I am not a DIR devotee...and I resent being treated like one and having valid points dismissed because of your pre-conceptions. It comes across as pretty close-minded.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder against tech/DIR/whatever. I do have an issue with people acting like they know it all and pontificate to others.

It's one thing to share one's experience and knowledge. It's another to step on a pedestal and tell others that they're wrong and you're right.

From my experience with BCDs, its not the clips that break too often but they wear to an extent the shoulder straps won't stay tight. See lots of people with loose shoulder straps that keep doing that. Not dangerous and mildly amusing to watch.

From my experience with BCDs, its not the clips that break too often but they wear to an extent the shoulder straps won't stay tight. See lots of people with loose shoulder straps that keep doing that. Not dangerous and mildly amusing to watch.

GREAT point I have this problem with my jacket BC and I hate it. This is one of the reasons I wanted a one-piece from the start after Tobin said a HOG stays put every day all day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom