Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to make this VERY clear. The 'broken plastic QR' debate IS NOT about "you're gonna die!".

The worst-case for a recreational diver would be that a QR broke whilst load-bearing out of the water. Buckle/QR breaks and the heavy scuba kit lurches around or drops. It could cause an injury to the diver or a bystander... or damage the scuba kit.

A broken plastic buckle at any other time out of the water will lead to a PITA situation, where the kit will need repair. This could spoil a dive trip or holiday.

As for in-the-water QR 'catastrophic' failure... it is quite unlikely. The harness shouldn't be bearing any/much load underwater. Even if a QR does fail, it shouldn't cause a critical incident for the diver concerned. However, for a novice or nervous diver, any failure of any gear could lead to stress and increased danger via panic.

IMHO, the 'plastic vs metal' debate is about purchase considerations... where a diver might logically want an 'optimum' material solution in the contruction of rugged scuba kit.

In contrast, the 'Hog vs Complex/Deluxe' harness debate is about differentiating between what a diver wants and what they actually need. Most divers don't need anything more than a basic Hog harness. With that choice, they gain the benefits in terms of expense and ruggedness. Some divers do actually need a comfort harness. They are a small majority with specific requirements, such as severe upper limb immobility or regular, extended walks to/from dive sites.

The rest of the divers who opt for comfort/deluxe harnesses do so simply because they want one. If a diver wants to buy more complex, more expensive, less rugged equipment to solve a simple requirement, then that is their perogative.

Heard this joke?....

That joke sums up the Hog vs Comfort Harness admirably. :D

Very Well put Thank You. Opinions are just that Opinions. Everybody has one and is free to share it here but some of the arguing points here are just silly. Who cares if an "unloaded" plastic buckle does not break, it gets heavily "loaded" to and from the water. Stating that plastic buckles may mean life or death is again silly.
As DevonDiver stated it is really a matter of preference. An opinion no matter how you come up with it is yours. If you have tried the QR's and dont like them or feel that they are "unsafe" that is your choice. The beauty of this board is that there is more than one person answering. If you have tried the HOG and dont care for it and want the comfort and QR's then good for you. That is why the market has choices.
For me and it is my choice I think I am going to use the Pencil.

Death is not my meter for if a piece of equipment is good or not. While not dying certainly is a goal of mine, actually diving is a goal, as well.

This is why I choose quality equipment that is simple and reliable. If I don't need plastic buckles (which do, unfortunately, break), why would I take them diving?

You might not find a need for it, but other more experienced divers might. Otherwise, why would Dive Rite bother to make these harnesses? These are the same harnesses that Dive Rite staff using to make cave and wreck dives with. IF they're so inefficient then Dive Rite wouldn't be making them.

You might not find a need for it, but other more experienced divers might. Otherwise, why would Dive Rite bother to make these harnesses? These are the same harnesses that Dive Rite staff using to make cave and wreck dives with. IF they're so inefficient then Dive Rite wouldn't be making them.

Why would they make them? Because people will buy them. Especially if they are marketed well. When people buy them, the company makes more money.

How do they market them? They get their staff to dive in them.

....and the mist clears from the eyes.... :blinking:

Andy:
When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $2 million to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface; including glass, and at temperatures ranging from -60 to 300 C.

The Russians used a pencil.

Great story/joke but not really true although it does illuminate the debate perfectly.

In the early astronaut days, both the U.S. and the Russians used pencils. After the Apollo 1 fire, NASA wanted a writing implement that wouldn't burn in high oxygen atmospheres and something where a lead couldn't break off and potentially float into some important piece of gear.

Fisher did eventually develop the pen but at their own cost, they never billed Nasa but they did sell a few hundred to Nasa, supposedly at $3 each. After the pen was developed the Russian space program also used them for the same reasons.

In any case, I think we have exhausted this topic at least until say June?

Safe Diving
Bill

Well I have the solution...

1. I have an OMS SS BP rigged with continuous webbing... For my DIR friends.
2. I have a second OMS SS BP rigged with a webbing harness harness with QR's... for my recreational friends and recreational courses.
3. Two wings 38lbs/55lbs for singles/doubles with the above BP's.
4. My Side Mount wing/harness.

Chest and waist D Rings are configured identically as is location of the knife on all three configurations. I use identical waist SS buckles on all three. Not sure why all the concern about plastic buckles... I know I could easily rig a fix if a buckle broke.... Worst case, re rig the BP with webbing. The key is using BP's which allow any config you want.

Dwayne

Last edited:
:bash:If I bought any more dive gear (other than cameras) I would be sleeping in the garage.
Bill

Buy a dive boat and name it "Dog Box"

I think if I bought a boat, I would be sleeping in the boat in another state most likely, but thanks for the suggestion. Actually I have two rigs, one for home (freedom plate) and one for travel (Oxycheq ultralite) but only one wing. I know that makes me a slacker but there it is.
Bill

Why would they make them? Because people will buy them. Especially if they are marketed well. When people buy them, the company makes more money.

How do they market them? They get their staff to dive in them.

....and the mist clears from the eyes.... :blinking:

Exactly. They and their staff put their lives on the line to show that their equipment work under extreme conditions.

No better advertisement or testament than that.:idk:

If these plastic buckles were to prone to breakage, they wouldn't have used them when diving in some cave somewhere in northern Siberia.

I don't know about other people but if I were to have to use gears that my life depends on, I don't care how much the company is paying me, I ain't usin' it if I ain't got no faith in it.

What about the plastic sliders on the Halcyon Cinch system? OMG, they're plastic, they'll break too!!!:rofl3:

This is why I choose quality equipment that is simple and reliable. If I don't need plastic buckles (which do, unfortunately, break), why would I take them diving?

Then don't use'em.:idk:

In my eight years as a paratrooper in the US Army, plastic buckles worked plenty well for me and I will take them diving.

Back
Top Bottom