Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going with the Hollis Elite 2 as they are local to me and I like supporting local business and the one I tried on in the shop was very comfortable - though too small.

I have the Elite 2, too (basically the same as the DR Transplate). I love it. I like the shoulder padding and quick adjustability.
I can see the appeal of 'nothing except the webbing' style harnesses, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.

I have, however, removed the lower D-rings on each shoulder strap. I have no need for 8 rings (2 on hips and 4 on shoulders and 2 which the chest straps attach too, if you run out :p )

As for the failure point arguements of the releases I believe as pointed out by others that although it may have an increased possible failure rate statisically, that rate is so small that it should not be a factor to be considered. The same can be said of failure rates of the multi piece harness vs a one piece. Inspection and maintenance of gear is the issue of most importance regarding failures and when consistant with predive checks most failures will become little more than an inconveinience.

I don't disagree with the point of Scubanon's post (right tool for your diving needs), but for me the "failure point" isn't just about buckles snapping during a dive. In my diving, the buckles can catch on line, monofilament or kelp. Plastic buckles are at the mercy of the owners of 30lb weight belts and steel tanks, the failure of which would be caught in a predive check (or when trying to don the rig) but would still necessitate canceling the dive. If a rescue calls for ditching the rig, it's pretty easy to miss the sternum strap (or to have trouble manipulating the frequently-smaller buckle while wearing heavy gloves) and strangle the victim. Finally, I find a hog harness functional, comfortable and easy to ditch, so I see little reason to use anything else for my diving. YMMV, naturally.

I dive the Zeagle deluxe harness, pretty comfy when diving in a wet or dry suit but could do with some shoulder pads or a back pad when i dive in shorts etc.

Edit: also with a 2" Crotch strap.

deluxeh.jpg

Cheers Joel

For folks who feel a chest strap is necessary -- you can try crossing your straps on your harness. That's what I do, and it keeps the straps nicely in the hollow between my shoulder and my sternum. Without crossing the straps, they ride out over the ball of the humerus and dig into my upper arms.

I dived for several years with a one piece harness but three years ago I added a single break on the left side. I find it makes it easier taking the rig off.

For folks who feel a chest strap is necessary -- you can try crossing your straps on your harness. That's what I do, and it keeps the straps nicely in the hollow between my shoulder and my sternum. Without crossing the straps, they ride out over the ball of the humerus and dig into my upper arms.

Lynne, I know you've described this in other posts, but you mean crossing them on the back side of the plate? I noticed yesterday that my shoulder straps keep flopping off my shoulders, which is quite annoying when climbing slippery steps at our local quarry.

I use a Dive Rite harness (w/chest strap) and an OMS aluminum backplate for all dives... just change the wing for single tank (Oxycheq Mach V) or doubles (Dive Rite Rec - dual bladder) and go. The harness is always the same, no matter what I have on my back.

Now, what to do w/my Transpac & Travel EXP wing? Hmm..

When my current harness wears out I'll have to try this. This was the reason I went with the Transplate harness.

Dive Rite Transplate harness coupled with Dive Rite steel plate. Also Halcyon Infinity BC (steel plate coupled with the Cinch harness system).

Why? I like quick adjustability. It's that simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom