Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clarification: this opinion is only for single tank only. I'd recommend HOG for doubles. OK, I did the HOG for a while. However, after much consideration and trial and error, I like the Dive Rite Transplate Harness or the Oxycheq Deluxe adjustable. Why? I can switch from my 8/7mm to 3mm suits quickly as these are adjustable for those dive trips south. I can get it just right -quickly. Yeah, plastic buckles are a potential failure point. So, in the one out of 5 million chance that this should occur, this would be an inconvenience, not even a dive ending thing for me.

Standard one piece.

(i) It can be adjusted to fit PERFECTLY so is comfortable in anything from a t-shirt to drysuit
(ii) Once adjusted it doesnt move
(iii) Its very cheap and easy to replace when and if needed
(iv) No parts to break or go wrong with it

What's the deal with naked divers??? Lol...interesting.

So, this might be a stupid question...but I've been trying to research it and I can't find anything. I don't understand what the "webbing" part is???

What's the deal with naked divers??? Lol...interesting.

So, this might be a stupid question...but I've been trying to research it and I can't find anything. I don't understand what the "webbing" part is???

4281646524_a0967f4387.jpg

The pink stuff in this photo :)

2" flat webbing that threads through the slots in the BackPlate. Holds you to the plate very securely. Use a crotch strap and you have 5 points. Very stable and THE way to go.

Well I'm the opposite of some of the switchers here as I'm going from HOG to Comfort. I've only given the HOG (actually Halcyon Cinch) 6 pool sessions which equates to 10 or so hours but it is enough for me to giving something else a try.

My issue is where it comes over the shoulder. For me at least, it is right on the shoulder blade. This causes me to have restricted movement of my shoulder and pain in my neck. I do have a neck/back injury and each time in the pool and for days later my neck hurts more than usual.

I've tried the straps crossed behind my neck and while this helped with the restricted movement, it hurt my neck even more.

One of the things I've noticed was that if I hold the two chest D-rings together, the strain on my neck and shoulders was relieved. I suppose I could just put in a chest strap but I would rather give the comfort system a try now.

I'm going with the Hollis Elite 2 as they are local to me and I like supporting local business and the one I tried on in the shop was very comfortable - though too small.

For you, I would suggest you get the HOG with the DSS package. Why not? How much could you even save by leaving off the harness? Then you can decide for yourself if you like it.

Continuous hogarthian webbing. It's $10 of webbing -- easy to see a potential failure before it happens and cheap enough to fix a potential failure before I start trying to decide "how many dollars close to broken" it is.

Unless I'm in a cave or wreck, I use the DiveRite Transplate with the quick release buckles. Cheap and foolproof:

Dive_Rite_Depth_TransPlate_Harness.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom