Poachers at Punta Sur

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your help with the photos, Don. Also thanks to Peligicsal for the help in posting the videos. I guess I'll have to spend some time "reading the manual".

Don (not Dandy) from (South) Texas

Aldora, Memo and David are class acts. I have done many dives with them. We're back starting Nov 3 for 2 weeks, staying at the Occidental Grand. I'm stunned and saddened by the poaching story. I thought this kind of behaviour was limited to the Philippines.

Very sad to see this. For my own curiosity, are these sharks being poached for their fins or meat? I know that either way it is wrong. It seems that the finning is primarily geared towards the Asian markets. The meat is global. A local restaurant close to my house serves shark. Needless to say, they have been on my boycott list.

Very sad to see this. For my own curiosity, are these sharks being poached for their fins or meat? I know that either way it is wrong. It seems that the finning is primarily geared towards the Asian markets. The meat is global. A local restaurant close to my house serves shark. Needless to say, they have been on my boycott list.

Shark Fin soup...no way. Not understanding what the problem is with shark served in a restaurant. No different than eating tuna or mahi mahi.

Shark Fin soup...no way. Not understanding what the problem is with shark served in a restaurant. No different than eating tuna or mahi mahi.

Why should shark be off limits as a food fish?

I know it is not my place to moralize and meddle in the lives of those who live in poverty about what they should and should not do to make ends meet. I have always had a roof over my head and have never gone to bed hungry. My argument is not simply based on beliefs that sharks are majestic and beautiful creatures which deserve our protection. It is about sustaining the eco-system of our oceans. The information supporting this are not produced from radical groups with dubious agendas, but from years of reputable research.

Sharks have one of the slowest rates of reproduction of all marine creatures. The rate of fishing/fining is far exceeding the rate of reproduction. Not only are sharks scavengers eating decaying carcasses, they are also important of keeping the balance in check. In areas where shark fishing is popular, there is a major decline of lobsters, scallops, pollock, walleye, mussels and even grouper. This has indeed hurt the fishing industry. There are numerous seafood options which are sustainable such as US mahi mahi, halibuts, mussels, prawns, sea bass and perch to name a few.

Cozumel has rightfully earned it's place as one of the world's top scuba destinations. I always admired their proactive actions in establishing marine parks to protect the sea life. If they become another one of the many over fished destinations it would devastate businesses. The crime problems in other parts of Mexico have been caustic enough. While I enjoy the macro sea life when diving, it is always a nice change to see the larger pelagics that Coz has to offer. Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:
We're talking about DM David...

Aldora, Memo and David are class acts. I have done many dives with them. We're back starting Nov 3 for 2 weeks, staying at the Occidental Grand. I'm stunned and saddened by the poaching story. I thought this kind of behaviour was limited to the Philippines.

I will have to agree with you They are a class act. Hubby and I have been diving with Aldora for a long time. Back when they didnt have their dive shop. We will be in Coz for thanksgiving week bringing our daughter and grandson. Staying at Royal Holiday. We use to stay at the Villa and then bought into Royal Holiday so we stay there now. I must say we do miss staying at the Villa though. let me know if you will be there Thanksgiving week. Maybe we will dive with you once. Kathy in Texas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom