Where to dive? Belize, Roatan, USVI/BVI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most important to us would be 1. Water clarity (got spoiled in Cozumel), 2. More dives for beginners (easier dives), 3. Healthy reefs/good amount of fish 4. A few things to do on land (doesn't have to be a ton, just a few things other than diving).
We just returned, well back in early August, from the USVI and can highly recommend St. Croix. We'd been to St. Thomas, St. John, and the BVI before but never to St. Croix and OMG what a difference. The diving was excellent and there was a lot to do on shore.

We dived with St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures and they were wonderful. We dived from both of their boats so we were able to see many different sites. The wall there, especially Salt River was incredible, there were some great wrecks dives that we went to one day then we did the Frederiksted Pier and it was amazing. We went to Bonaire two years ago and I've got to say that their Pier was pretty good but I liked the one on St. Croix much better and we were the only ones diving it on a night dive we did there.

I think St. Croix is great for just about any level of diver. There's no really "challenging" dives, ie: strong currents, overhead environments, etc. With the walls there you can certainly go as deep as you'd like but you obviously don't have to.

As for other things to do, it's a pretty great place too. There's a great botanical gardens and it's near the Cruzan Rum factory (brewery? distillery? you can tell I was more into the rum). The snorkeling is good all around the island and there are some wonderful restaurants.

Jennifer,

As to the BVI you might want to check out our TV show Travelers In Paradise, on Versus network.

Season one is all about the BVI. Our show airs on Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am ET. So far you missed only episode one. You can watch it on our website at

Travelers In Paradise | Just three ordinary people on an extraordinary adventure.

The website is being worked on right now and will be 100% back in a couple of days.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the show.

Carl

Unless you like lots of sand fleas and dangerous beaches at night I'd steer clear of Roatan, though it appeals to a lot of people. The prices are definitely good and the diving is OK. I found Utila more to my liking. One day Guanaja will be a good destination.

hmm, out of 14 years there we never had a problem, in fact 2 of our 'kids' lived there for 2 & 3.5 years( one of them as a teenager)----but---have not been back in the last 3 years, things musta changed with the government almost falling apart..On 2nd thought, maybe a good idea we sold our house there 2 years ago...We were on the north side on the water about a half mile east of BIBR.....

Thank you to all who have replied! Some very good insights. It's difficult to choose one place when you want to see them ALL! Little by little we will. I think the decision is between Ambergris Caye in Belize and St. Croix. Leaning toward Ambergris Caye just for the ease of the diving and to explore San Pedro town.

JOIN US IN OUR VIP EXCURSIONS, ONE OF THE MUST BEAUTIFUL PLACES IN THE MEXICAN CARIBBEAN, RIO HUACH.... GREAT PLACE TO STAY , DIVES AND ACTIVITIES AND ALWAYS PERSONAL ATTENTION DOSNT MATTER IF YOU ARE BEGINER OR EXPERIENCE, WE LOVE TO TAKE CARE OF YOU GUYS!!! we have the bes option for you!!!!

Lots of sensible advice in this thread so far. If you want any detailed advice on the BVI, feel free to PM me (I am not a dive op; I am just a person who lives here and loves to dive, but happy to help if I can).

Sorry but I have to call BS on your description of Roatan. I mean, ok, sand flies are there. Worst at dawn and dusk but although my wife gets a few bites each time (they don't seem to like me as much) to make such a big deal about it is absurd. Granted I have only been there 4 times in the last 2 yrs but Dengue fever rampant and dangerous beaches??? Hmmm, are you employed by some competitor? Ok, I don't think you are but that is such a blatant blast at one of my favorite sites (We have decided to return once a yr in the future) I just can't beleive it. Look around on the bay islands to get a little variety of perspectives. That said I don't think Roatan fits you desire for above water fun. Good luck and hey, whereever you go you will be diving so it's not as if you can lose here:D

Unless you like lots of sand fleas and dangerous beaches at night I'd steer clear of Roatan, though it appeals to a lot of people. The prices are definitely good and the diving is OK. I found Utila more to my liking. One day Guanaja will be a good destination.

Dangerous beaches! Have you even been to Roatan?

Back
Top Bottom