DM seeking advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lab2195

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, seeking advice for a 4-6 month sabbatical I’m considering taking! I’m based in Los Angeles and the writers strike means I’m probably out of a job until next year, so thinking about dusting off my Divemaster cert and getting a temporary gig. My parameters for making a decision are:

1) Weather July-December
2) Ease of access from Los Angeles or Europe (I might travel straight from a wedding in Germany)
3) Quality of diving (my preferences are great vis, large healthy reefs)
4) Density of shops/probability of finding temp/freelance work (really just hoping to break even so would also work in exchange for accommodation or, worst case, just free diving)
5) LGBT-friendliness
6) Ideally would like to be able to bring my dog (but it may be too hot to fly anywhere)
7) Variety of topside activities without being too touristy
8) Ability to work as a US citizen with only English fluency

I’m currently leaning Curaçao for the relative lack of storms and what I perceive to be good mix of surface activities. Roatan and Utila are also on the list. The only Caribbean diving I’ve done is in St Croix, Bahamas, and Cozumel, Coz being the clear favorite of the three, so flying blind based on what the internet is telling me.

Appreciate any and all input! And feel free to tell me this is all a fool’s errand 😅

[QUOTE="Lab2195, post: 9998481, member: 539316] And feel free to tell me this is all a fool’s errand 😅
[/QUOTE]

As long as you will work for free diving, the world is your clam. DMs are underpaid, (often) under rated, and in over-supply.

Go do it while you can.

'Working' as a DM for 4-6 in a place with great divng is going to cost you money.
Think about it this way: Who wants to hire a DM for a few month that doesn't at least know the dive spots?
I can't think of any place that fits your list. The 'wanting to break even part' alone is probably not going to happen... and 'lots of dive shops' and 'not too touristy' is not really a thing AFAIK.

Reactions: Doc
I’m not even a DM and I can tell you that you’re looking for a purple squirrel.

I have a brother who has instructor’s certs and he was making some half decent coin in San Diego during the last writers’ strike.

Reactions: Doc
I have a brother who has instructor’s certs and he was making some half decent coin in San Diego during the last writers’ strike.

So your brother was a strike breaker, crossing the picket lines, was a scab? What shows did he write for that “made him half decent coin”?

:wink::wink::wink::wink::):(

So your brother was a strike breaker, crossing the picket lines, was a scab? What shows did he write for that “made him half decent coin”?

:wink::wink::wink::wink::):(
With the current contract, they don’t get half decent coin, so that would have been an improvement. :D

I’m not even a DM and I can tell you that you’re looking for a purple squirrel.

Found one…
54D822D9-6EFD-4BCC-8D85-1EB2C21FDB18.jpeg

Here's a link to a post of mine that may have some helpful links for you (that thread was about DM internships, but several links also had opportunities for DMs):

I think there are some Facebook groups (dive jobs worldwide or something) where diveshops regularly post listings for seasonal jobs as divemaster or instructor. So i would go from there. See what kind of things pop up and if that fits your wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom