cost of transportation LAX to Catalina ferry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am trying to come up with a budget for a trip out, spending 2 full days on Catalina, staying at a hotel and boat diving one day, shore diving the other. Trying to decide if flying out is more expensive than driving from NM (12 hours each way, we have done it twice). With 3 people, I am guessing that driving out will be much cheaper, parking car at ferry landing. If our daughter decides not to go with us, then it will be just 2 divers, so it may be cheaper to fly.

We are thinking of doing this trip or going down to San Diego to dive (still haven't been there yet).

robin:D

I guess that depends on which ferry you catch out to Catalina. The closest to LAX is Marina Del Rey Flyer, which is about 4-5 miles from the airport. Depending on traffic and route the cabbie takes, I figure it's about $20-25 after the airport service charge.

FWIW, the Flyer's website offers ferry and lodging packages. (Not affiliated with the ferry in any way and no link since I'm still a newbie)

I once had to take a cab from the San Pedro to Playa del Rey, near LAX, and it was somewhere in the area of $40-50 for 2 people, but that was several years ago. I don't know what Super Shuttle or other shuttle service would charge, but that's a thought, too.

If I was coming from out of town on a budget to dive, I'd rather hop on a full service dive boat like the Peace. You can stay overnight on the dive boat, so you won't have to pay for a hotel room. They will also include air fills and all meals for free included in the price of the boat trip. They will take you to sites with the best dive conditions. Also, you won't incur the costs of a parking lot fee such as the Catalina Express ferry parking lot would charge. The Peace dive boat and the Spectre dive boat are out of Ventura and good for diving the Channel Islands (primariily Anacapa and Santa Cruz). The Sundiver dive boat is out of Long Beach and good for diving the sites off of Catalina Island.

Want to get past the stupid Taxi "airport service charge". Simple. Just take the hotel shuttle bus to one of the local hotels. (Holiday Inn, etc).

then call a cab from there.

If you go to a big enough of a hotel, chances are there is one standing by waiting on a fare.

If I was coming from out of town on a budget to dive, I'd rather hop on a full service dive boat like the Peace. You can stay overnight on the dive boat, so you won't have to pay for a hotel room. They will also include air fills and all meals for free included in the price of the boat trip. They will take you to sites with the best dive conditions. Also, you won't incur the costs of a parking lot fee such as the Catalina Express ferry parking lot would charge. The Peace dive boat and the Spectre dive boat are out of Ventura and good for diving the Channel Islands (primariily Anacapa and Santa Cruz). The Sundiver dive boat is out of Long Beach and good for diving the sites off of Catalina Island.

That is what we have done for the past 5 years, diving with either Peace/Spectre up north or Great Escape down south. We are looking to do something DIFFERENT this year.

Don't think you will be disappointed in staying on Catalina and doing some dives there, especially if you go midweek with less people
It's an interesting place, even for non-divers, good dives close by and the dive park is one of my favorite places to dive ... and of course you'll probably get to chat with DrBill, Catalina's unofficial purveyor of good will

I just found this on the Catalina ferry website:
Karmel Shuttle Service In LAX Or From Orange County Airport To Los Angeles, California - Catalina Island Packages | Shuttle - 888.995.7433
looks like the price for a shuttle from LAX to ferry is $38 for first person, $10 each additional. Good to know.

Looking at the Scuba Luv/King Neptune website packages - has anyone used the packages? Which hotels do they use? Eel Pkg looks like what we would want.
Scuba Diving Packages with Catalina Scuba Luv: Catalina Island, California

Parking at the catalina express lot in long beach is $14 per day.
The express is $66 RT, but seniors are $60. there are discounts from AAA as well.
Right above the catalina express terminal is a really nice place to eat, called fresh day or good day or something like that. It is open for breakfast and lunch only during the week and the food is quite good and reasonably priced.
I ride my bike over there to eat and watch the boats.
Good place to eat if you are waiting for the ferry.
There was a thread not to long ago about the hotels in Avalon. Awater and Hotel Hermosa are the two with the lowest prices. My friend uses Hermosa regularly and it has been okay with him.
Dr. Bill can shed information on this.
I take a cab back and forth to LAX often. I am maybe 7 miles away from the express terminal. The cost is $50 from my place. there is a $2.50 charge for airport pickup.
One thing about driving is you can bring your gear and supplies.
As others have said, you guys will like the diving the park.
Good luck robint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom