H-Valve used for doubles setup???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disregarding all the main problems with the OPs situation, there's another, if I understand the concept correctly. Connecting tanks via the HP port on a regulator results in very limited flow between the tanks due to the restrictors in the hose fittings and ports. If you look in a HP port you'll see what looks like a tiny pinhole in solid brass. I kind of doubt there's enough flow there to breathe off at any significant depth; it would be like having the tank valve just barely cracked.

So I'm not sure if it's your intention to connect two tanks with a HP line, and be able breathe all the gas from one regulator, but if so, I'm pretty sure it won't work.

So I'm not sure if it's your intention to connect two tanks with a HP line, and be able breathe all the gas from one regulator, but if so, I'm pretty sure it won't work.

Actually, it will work just fine. (Well, "fine" within the absurd context of the OPs desired configuration.)

I'm assuming he doesn't specifically mean "a high pressure hose" like the one from a 1st stage to your SPG, but rather that he thinks he simply means a hose capable of taking ~3000psi in order to move the air from one tank to another. (Whether he consciously knows that there is a difference or not...?) he seems to be saying he's connecting a hose from "tank valve to tank valve" and on "from reg to reg."

Given that, a transfill whip would be the idea hose for the ridiculous configuration the OP is contemplating.

LM-44.300.050-2.jpg

Light Monkey Transfill Whip at www.DiveSeekers.com

May need to swap out the gauge for a submersible one. (Ordinarily I'd suggest removing the gauge altogether to avoid adding an additional failure point and reducing potential entanglement hazards, but for some strange reason I suspect these issues are not high on the OPs list of priorities.)

Backmount, sidemount, nomount, and now the revolutionary new legmount system by Gomad. We need a visual here.

Oh, Lynne made me feel guilty for joshing around.

After post #33, josh away.

Actually, it will work just fine. (Well, "fine" within the absurd context of the OPs desired configuration.)

I'm assuming he doesn't specifically mean "a high pressure hose" like the one from a 1st stage to your SPG, but rather that he thinks he simply means a hose capable of taking ~3000psi in order to move the air from one tank to another. (Whether he consciously knows that there is a difference or not...?) he seems to be saying he's connecting a hose from "tank valve to tank valve" and on "from reg to reg."

Given that, a transfill whip would be the idea hose for the ridiculous configuration the OP is contemplating.

LM-44.300.050-2.jpg

Light Monkey Transfill Whip at www.DiveSeekers.com

May need to swap out the gauge for a submersible one. (Ordinarily I'd suggest removing the gauge altogether to avoid adding an additional failure point and reducing potential entanglement hazards, but for some strange reason I suspect these issues are not high on the OPs list of priorities.)

That will be perfect if you add one DIN converter and replace the PG with an SPG. That PG is probably on and NPT connection so that would have to be changed to Scuba. But that is also an opportunity to put that SPG on a separate hose and eliminate that extra clutter on the 1st stage. that will also allow you to confirm that both valves are open on your H-valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Backmount, sidemount, nomount, and now the revolutionary new legmount system by Gomad. We need a visual here.

After post #33, josh away.

Alright. I will take up the challenge after I return from diving today. But it won't be pretty.

This has given me an idea for quad 130's. Doubles on my back with a 130 on each leg, all tied together with HP whips. Then I can just ride my computer on some 300' wreck penetration dives. Now I am kinda pissed that I spent all that money on training! It's to bad this thread was not around five years ago! :confused:

I'm thinking of setting up a cascade blending system on my lower body. Pure Helium goes on my right calve, pure Oxygen goes on my left, both in Al80s. These will be diffused through intermediate cylinders on my thighs (lp72s) and then into my backgas, which will be manifolded Y valve 3CF spare airs (allowing for fast mixing).

Real-time blended gas without the hassle of a rebreather.

I'm thinking of setting up a cascade blending system on my lower body. Pure Helium goes on my right calve, pure Oxygen goes on my left, both in Al80s. These will be diffused through intermediate cylinders on my thighs (lp72s) and then into my backgas, which will be manifolded Y valve 3CF spare airs (allowing for fast mixing). I'll be the ultimate in self-reliance. And I'll get real-time blended gas. What could go wrong?
:confused: :rofl3:

1. I'm not trying to attach a hp100 tank to my leg...LOL
2. I need to have the tanks manifolded together to get my air time remaining.
3. My bcd has 45 lbs of lift, not a problem. for two tanks.
4. I was suggesting putting H-valves only on my (2) HP100's
5. I wanted to add 80cu tank on my leg, using a fill whip style setup to manifold it together.
6. My computer allows for doing deco diving also, so i just wanted to add extra air. for diving wrecks and extended time down.
7. i was thinking a DIN reg adapter with a hp line, going to a yoke adapter for a yoke reg. would allow me to know exactly how much air time remaining i have, as well as deco time, all together on my one computer, if i bought an extra tank with a sep. reg setup, thats alot more junk to be hauling around, than just a tank on my leg.
8. to all the know it alls, that sat home today, looking for a job, and talking their poop.
your mom is the troll

Get's me thinking.

There is a type of thread that occasionally pops up here in ScubaBoard. I'm not pointing any fingers here, but...

The OP gets an idea that he suspects is flawed, and while he's determined to proceed with it, he'd rather have the support of at least one random stranger on the internet. So he makes a thread proposing his idea and waits.

Problem is, no one wants to be the guy recorded for all ePosterity making a suggestion or blessing an idea that directly leads to the next release of DAN's accident statistics, so they either explain why it's a bad idea or crack jokes.

But that's not what the OP is looking for. He wants someone to blow smoke up his ass, and when he doesn't get that, he turns defensive and sardonic.

I don't get it.

Now, back to the thread at hand.

Your primary source of propulsion when you dive is your legs. Strapping a 2 foot long 40 pound hunk of metal to one of them is a terrible idea. You're considering adding countless new failure points with all these adapters, flow restrictors, hose fittings and who knows else what, and the general kludge of a setup calls into question the likeliness you could efficiently locate and effectively resolve a failure on the surface, let alone underwater.

There are also the generic concerns with relying a computer that 'allows for doing deco diving' to plan your gas usage. Since it most likely only tells you how much time you have left at your current breathing rate and doesn't consider how much you'll need to complete mandatory decompression stops, you're inviting a lose-lose (bent or drowned) situation.

There are a number of proven solutions to the need for more gas: big tanks, stage bottles, twins and rebreathers. All of them deserve respect and diligence since they can allow you to get into a dire situation.

I didn't take the actual Deco Procedures course, but my Advanced Nitrox cert trained, and certified me to perform limited Decompression dives with total Deco time not to exceede 20 mins..

If you don't mind my asking...and not to derail the thread too far off topic, but which certifying agency allows for deco during their Advanced Nitrox training? Just trying to satisfy my curiosity :)

OP, you're from Ft. Lauderdale? I live in Alabama, so it's a bit of a drive to Ft. Lauderdale, but maybe we could meet up at Vortex Springs sometime (or Ginnie Springs, if I can get the vacation time!) and go for a dive or two, discuss some of your ideas, and try to figure out something that will work well for you...

PM me if this sounds like a good idea

Back
Top Bottom