Mask strap question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, you're welcome. But, if you read my post again, I state that the velcro straps are what you use on the back up mask. Velcro on both primary and back up masks. I don't believe the pads for the rubber straps solve much so negate those as a tool.

My bad: I could have made that back-up mask "as is" part much clearer. I went back & added the word "velcro" because I meant leave the straps at the full length. Some people cut those. But, if you did have a rubber strap on a back up mask - yes, don't cut that either! :)

Halcyon instructions tell you to cut the velcro straps for allowance on stretch. I did so, and my slap strap sucks, it comes off with a tug on the mask, while on land. (Much because I don't have a lot of vecro making contact).

I'm no way going to dive that crap in the water, so I've been diving the stock strap with cover for convenience.

Since seeing your post, I'm going to purchase another velcro slap strap and try one last time, I do like the way it sits flush against your head with no obstruction whatsoever.

When I first had all the vecro uncut, it had a much sturdier grip and that mask was going nowhere!!! Too bad, no one ever told me what you did. Halcyon needs to get rid of that part of the instruction.

Halcyon instructions tell you to cut the velcro straps for allowance on stretch. I did so, and my slap strap sucks, it comes off with a tug on the mask, while on land. (Much because I don't have a lot of vecro making contact).

I'm no way going to dive that crap in the water, so I've been diving the stock strap with cover for convenience.

Since seeing your post, I'm going to purchase another velcro slap strap and try one last time, I do like the way it sits flush against your head with no obstruction whatsoever.

When I first had all the vecro uncut, it had a much sturdier grip and that mask was going nowhere!!! Too bad, no one ever told me what you did. Halcyon needs to get rid of that part of the instruction.

Mike, I didn't trim my Halcyon velcro straps at all. I said some people trim them. My advice was to leave the back-up mask strap untrimmed for all head sizes. I've had to trim other brands of straps because some attached on the exterior of the strap and had extra play.

Totally makes sense now.... I just played around with a new velcro strap and noticed, if you get the fit on once and don't continue pulling it off and on trying to adjust it, it is rock solid.

I have played around with mine so much, that all the velcro is jacked up. I know that if I get a new one, chances are a perfect fit, now that you gave me the advice I should have asked first before I purchased.

Thanks,

MG

I just switched to the UTD mask strap. Was SUPER easy to do the basic 6 mask R&R one handed with this strap. Super easy to adjust on the fly also.

I use the Halcyon Slap StrapTM, 6.5mm neoprene w/ plush backing and no-fray Velcro® style attachment with: a 7mm DUI hood, 3mm cheap off the shelf hood, no hood with shaved head most of the time and sometimes I got lots of hair. I have used this strap for over 3 years which equals to allot of dives in all sorts of conditions. No adjustments since the day it was initially put on my mask. Has never come off my head during a dive unwillingly.

I think the trick is to install it right the first time.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom