Cozumel in September 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's do it. First Week Sept Scubaboard Dinner/Drinks.

Details:
Casa Denis (Mexican Food and good Margaritas)
Wednesday Sept 9th
Just off of the southeast corner of the Plaza in San Miguel
Let's start around 6:30 ish although this is Cozumel time.

Just let me know via the thread if you plan to make it and I'll take care of reserving a table.

Bill

We'll be able to make it.

We will be at the Sabor islander 9-26 to 10-3. last tine in Cozumel I got sick ( food water?) Only got to dive 2 times. Any sugestions how to prevent this?

We will be at the Sabor islander 9-26 to 10-3. last tine in Cozumel I got sick ( food water?) Only got to dive 2 times. Any sugestions how to prevent this?

Here is my belief set on the subject:

1) Don't drink tap water, for sure. However, whenever you order a glass of water in any restaurant it's ALWAYS purified -- typically out of a 5 gal. container. No need to order small bottles (which just clutter up the trash on this planet). All the ice on the island is made from purified water as well.
2) If your hotel doesn't provide water, just go to Mega (or Chedraui) Store and get a 5gal. jug of your own for about 6$US. It will last all week. Bring your own small refillable water bottles and replenish out of the big one.
3) Some folks swear that by chewing Pepto Bismol tabs before eating, it coats the stomach and wards off the bugs. Personally, I don't like the stuff.
4) I've had real good luck with "Activia" yogurt once or twice a day. Tastes good and replenishes the "good" bugs. In the dairy case at Mega (and Chedraui).
5) "Ectaprim" is the Mexican equivalent of "Bactrim" which is what some doctors prescribe for intestinal distress. It's an antibiotic, so it's best to have your doctor prescribe it for you ahead of time so you are aware of any side-effects (like sensitivity to sunlight). It should NOT be used as a preventative measure. I only take it if I'm hit hard, but it sure gets me back on my feet pronto. Once you start, most prescriptions require you to continue taking it for at least 5 days. That's a MUST.

Good luck and don't hesitate to eat out at the many excellent places recommended on this board. Heck, if you eat out every day in your own home town, I think you're just as likely to come across a meal that will "give ya' the gips"!!!

Hi Bill - my husband and I will be in Cozumel 9/4-11. We are diving with aldora.
We are staying at El Cantil (Casa Caribe Azul)
We would love to meet other scuba board divers

Thanks
Jessica

It depends on what kind of "sick" you get!

If it's diarrhea and you are lactose-tolerant, you can use a chewable acidophilus (probiotic) supplement -- these balance your digestive flora much like eating tons of yogurt and are very effective, especially if you take antibiotics. You don't have to wait for problems and can use it as a preventative. It's available at large supermarket chains (in the vitamin aisle) & at vitamin shops in the USA. In Cozumel, it's sold OTC in the Chedraui pharmacy under the name "Sinuberase." Pepto is also great if/when you do have trouble and is sold everywhere on the island.

Nausea may kick in if you don't drink enough water -- so definitely go overboard and drink gallons. Monitor your sun/heat exposure so you don't suffer from too much of either. Put a bottle of water on the nightstand so you'll have no excuse not to rehydrate if you wake up during the night due to thirst.

Try to order as much freshly-prepared food as possible and try to keep long-standing buffet food to a minumum.

In all likelihood, you'll be OK! Have fun!

Here's the updated list: :)

DStack.............. 4th-10th
DStack.............. 4th-11th
HarryCT............. 4th-12th
ntkriced............ 5th-9th
Mark GH2O........... 5th-12th
rj634............... 5th-12th
joyride............. 5th-12th
jpomerantz.......... 6th-13th
kujhawk01........... 9th-14th
basketjodi.......... 11th-20th
qjktx............... 12th-21st
Airleron............ 12th-19th (Delta Dive Club)
diverdanmcg......... 12th-19th
bcaderunr........... 12th-19th
Aigtbootbp.......... 19th-26th
sffrenchman......... 19th-26th
smoochy............. 19th-27th
OUTHOUSE............ 20th-27th
mikerault........... 26th-10/3
ssa@ssaking.com..... 26th-10/3
mstevens............ last week
U4ick_73............ 30th-10/2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back