Wife and I considering PADI Discovery in Cabo - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better get another line of credit! When you get back you'll be hooked!

Richard

Discover Scuba dives of this sort area enormously popular. Many thousands occur around the world every year.

In the first part of the class, the instructor will go over all the inherent dangers in a classroom, using a required procedure. You will then do some practice in a pool or pool-like quiet water area. Your instructor will not take you into the regular dive until he or she is sure you are ready for it.

Boulder its how I got hooked :)

I'd also suggest that you make sure that you and your wife commit to each other that if either one of you is uncomfortable doing the shallow water skills that it is perfectly OK to not finish the "course" and do the dive - EVEN if it's only 40 feet. If one of you isn't totally comfortable, practice there until you are, if that doesn't come, then it's ok to sit on the boat, while the other dives. There is no embarrassment or disappointing one or the other in that kind of mutual respect.

Do not think - hey it's only 40 feet, I can't possibly get hurt, all I have to do is remember to breathe. In a panic, thinking won't necessarily happen.

Nor should you think if I don't dive today I'll never dive. Chances are that when you're both back on the boat that before you're home, you'll have decided to take a full OW course at home and there you will have a lot of time to get more comfortable before diving open water.

Actually, chances are you'll have the time of your lives!!!! Be sure to post again your experience.

Don't do it. Snorkel instead. Come home search for a good class (they are hard to find) and get certified.

These resort classes can be tons of fun, but often they turn people off diving, not because the person can learn to dive, but because there's simply too much too soon. Also, PADI standards for these classes require the instructor to control a your buoyancy instead of teaching you to control your own. In my opinion, that's dangerous.

and remember that 'breathing out continuously' does *not* mean 'blow out hard like blowing out candles the whole time'. you'll run out & try to breathe in. not good.

you can 'breathe out continuously' and have a teeny slow stream of bubbles.

Doing a Discover Scuba was what got me hooked on the sport to begin with. Before doing that I had ZERO idea about what it was about and how to do it, but the few skills they show you before you dive are fairly straight forward to grasp. Just take it easy and follow your instructor's lead.

I would not consider a resort course training---more like 'you hold my hand & follow me'.....

I would get certified 1st then consider the real deal, ie diving.....

There are many ways to get into diving; DSD's are one of them. They are safe and fun for 99% of the people who engage.

If the instructor is good and patient, they give you the time you need to learn basic bouyancy and get comfortable with basic equipment, breathing under water, clearing your mask, basic communication, and puting on equipment. My training began in a pool and there was no pressure or time limit. I would consider starting in an environment where you can take your time and go at your own pace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom