Halcyon "Infinity" BP/W system: Video introduction on-line...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Video and pictures from last week's launch of the Halcyon "Infinity" BP/W system at Dutch Springs are now posted on the DiveSeekers website:

www.DiveSeekers.com

Scroll down to the bottom of the home page to see the video and photographs.

I had the chance to check the system out the other day and it's pretty slick...

Thanks Ray,

Halcyon launched the new Infinity MC System this past weekend at Dutch Springs in Bethlehem Pennsylvania. We had dozens of divers with various skill levels ranging from newly certified divers to experienced cave and wreck divers.

Throughout the weekend divers raved on how easy it was to adjust for donning and how easy it was to get out of their rigs. Divers especially liked how Halcyon was able to maintain their minimalist design while being able to appeal to the newer diver and divers with limited range of motion with making the system more comfortable and easy to adjust.

Experienced divers did say that they like their Halcyon BP/W the way they are and might not see a need to upgrade to the Infinity Harness but are intrigued by the ability to do so later on down the road.

The nice part about Halcyon's latest creation with the is that divers who are currently diving the Halcyon MC System can easily upgrade their rigs to the new design. Halcyon is offering two upgrades:

1) Divers can up grade to the new "Cinch" Harness, this will give them all of the necessary pieces to make their existing Halcyon secure harness easy to adjust! Note that the new upgrade does not come with new webbing although if divers want new webbing, they can purchase a Halcyon Secure webbing kit with no hardware for $17.00

2) Divers can upgrade their existing Halcyon Harness with the new Infinity Shoulder Pads and padded MC Storage Pack.

These complete upgrades will only work on Halcyon back plates! So if divers like what you see with Halcyon's latest design and they don't currently own a Halcyon backplate they just might find themselves upgrading that too.

The Halcyon Infinity MC System and upgrades are hoping to start shipping at the end of August 2009. More Halcyon Demos are scheduled around for the up coming months, the next one scheduled for Browstone Quarry in Connecticut.

Cheers

Last edited:
In the video, adjusting the straps by pulling on them seems to change the location of the buckle, depending on who is wearing the kit. Yes?? In fact, in the video the buckle ends up dead center under the crotch strap, unless I'm seeing it wrong. ??

Also, is all that fun padding neutral in the water? Or does the diver need to add weight?
...appeal to the newer diver ...
Why is that? Is H saying that a standard BP/W does not appeal to a newer diver, and if so, why?

In the video, adjusting the straps by pulling on them seems to change the location of the buckle, depending on who is wearing the kit. Yes?? In fact, in the video the buckle ends up dead center under the crotch strap, unless I'm seeing it wrong. ??

Jason would know better than I, but Ken obviously didn't have the rig/belt buckle specifically configured to fit himself - particularly in jeans and a golf shirt! The belt buckle is a standard H buckle and could be adjusted and offset properly as desired by the diver.

Is H saying that a standard BP/W does not appeal to a newer diver, and if so, why?

Rick, you've been around SB long enough and seen enough posts to know how many new divers (and others) feel that adjustability and padding are key features in selecting a rig. :wink:

And for some/many divers they truly are key features. Pretty smart move for Halcyon to figure out how to meet those customers' needs while still maintaining the integrity of the "single, continuous webbing" that is important to their core philosophy. Many companies would simply offer a "delux" harness and be done with it. As a marketing guy, I gotta admire a company that sticks to their guns and figure out how to "do it right" in their mind rather than taking what they would consider to be a less ideal solution.

In a few cases there is something to be said for padded straps. I dive a skin2side wetsuit and the Rubatex abrades rather easily so I make tubes out of the thinnest neoprene I can find and pull it over the shoulder straps.

In a few cases there is something to be said for padded straps.

Similarly, there are people who need to walk some distance between gearing up and entering the water.

Those of us who predominantly/exclusively gear up on a boat and need only stagger a few feet before falling in the water often forget that...

:D

Rick, you've been around SB long enough and seen enough posts to know how many new divers (and others) feel that adjustability and padding are key features in selecting a rig. :wink:

Yep. And why should H continue to allow Dive Rite to sell a couple of thousand Transpacs every year? :D

Yep. And why should H continue to allow Dive Rite to sell a couple of thousand Transpacs every year? :D

As a marketing guy I can appreciate THAT aspect of the strategy as well!

:eyebrow:

Similarly, there are people who need to walk some distance between gearing up and entering the water.

Those of us who predominantly/exclusively gear up on a boat and need only stagger a few feet before falling in the water often forget that...

:D

I find that the home made (wetsuit) shoulder strap pads adds a little comfort and it also makes the shoulder strap a little more rigid and robust so that it is easier to grab and less likley to twist when putting the rig on.

It looks intriguing enough! I think I may have to run over to my LDS this weekend and check this new Halcyon setup out for myself.

Good luck finding it anywhere this weekend...its not even on their website yet.
I think this is slated for an Aug or Sep release.

Back
Top Bottom