Spring Diving at Lake Lanier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm interested in doing a sunday dive but will need to rent gear, so if anyone's interested PM me so i can get on picking up equipment in time.

Sorry, helped my daughter move on Saturday...strained my back...

Can you dive next Sunday? I am leaving for Morehead on the following Thursday and would like to dive one more time before heading to NC.

Chicken197,

Nope, I will be presenting Oracle Tuning to a room full of Oracle geeks on Sunday in Orlando.

Mike

Can anyone tell me wha the diving is like a Lake Lanier. I am going to try to get in the water a bunch more this year bu it will have to be mostly local. What is interesting out there......is ther e any spearfishing allowed. Also does anyone know if there is any diving at lake Alatoona. I am righ around he corner from there....

Thanks,

Brian

Lake Lanier has viz ranging from none to 20-30 feet depending on the depth, time of year and when the last rai was. The bottom is predominately fine silt so any contact can be messy and limit viz. You see mud, rocks, tree stumps and below 40 feet, trees. You may see bass, stripers, sun fish, crappy or other fresh water fish. Watch out for monofilliment in the trees.

Temperature can range from 70's down to 50's depnding on depth and time of year. Below the thermo temperatures are always less than 70 and below the second thermo, 60.

Alatoona can be dived but tends to be more shallow and have more boat traffic. I haven't done it, but Kracken and Lady fish have.

Mike

how is the vis at the two mile creek park, and also would I be okay in 5mm with a 3mm vest and hood? I'd like to meet some folks there and dive some weekend

You should be fine in a 5 mill this time of year,never dove 2 mile,but on the south end by the dam, vis is usually 5-15 ft depending on conditions. I am ready to dive anytime,let me know.

OK, so i know people say that the only stupid question is the one you dont ask, but this might be the exception. Having never dove in a lake, do you have to worry about snakes ,ie water mockisons??? I want to get out to Lanier this summer but that is the one thing that concerns me.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom