Spring Diving at Lake Lanier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the dive sites we use there are so many people the snakes stay away. I have never seen one at any of the dive sites.

Hey, how about a dive and dine for June! Other than the last two weekends I am available all Month! Let's do one June 7th!

OK, so i know people say that the only stupid question is the one you dont ask, but this might be the exception. Having never dove in a lake, do you have to worry about snakes ,ie water mockisons??? I want to get out to Lanier this summer but that is the one thing that concerns me.

Thanks

I have never seen a cottonmouth in north georgia,I did have a standoff with one in middle ga,used to see them alot where I grew up in Florida. The only water snakes I have seen locally are banded water snakes and have seen copperheads near the water,many people mistake the banded water snakes for moccasins,it can get exciting when you bump a tree limb with a canoe and a snake drops out of the tree into the canoe with you,I think I walked on water that day:shocked2:

I will be at cocktail cove tonight and Sunday. We will be in a large white and black boat with a flybrige. The name is Island Time. Danny and I will be hunting the booty. Come on out and see us. We will most likely leave out Sunday at 1pm to head home.

Carl & Dan

Good dive today.
The cove is filling up now and we are out of air. Two tank dive today. Hit a depth of 57' and it was 53* at that depth. Just starting to get cold for the 7 mills. Danny and I found 3 small to mid size anchors, a few pair of sunglass. One was a pair of Smith Projekt. About $75.00 new. We also spent the rest of our air hunting gulf balls. We found about 200 balls. If I was a golfer I guess that would be a great day. The Vis was about 5' + or -. In some places the viz was about 8' to 10'. When the dive was over we went over to the rocky bank that has very large rocks and we saw a few 5lb cats and a few stripers. There was lots of brim. That was really cool watching the fish in the rocks. Something different then just mud on the bottom. My wife Debby is a big help. She stays top side on her kayak keeping us safe from boats and also is there when we come up with the goodies. She puts them on the kayak and takes it back to the boat. That way we can stay out.

Be back soon.
Carl, Deb & Dan

That's great Stilt. I went over to Two Mile this morning. Had a great dive. I found another fishing rod and reel there about 3 weeks ago. This was in better shape than the ones last year.
Great to hear from you!

Danny and I went diving this morning on the South side of cocktail cove and just as soon as we got started we had to call it off. Danny got a terrible toothache and had to stop diving. Danny went back to the boat and I dove for a bit in the area. I moved over to the shelf and cleaned up on over 200 gulf balls in 5’ to 15’ of water. Found two small anchors. Danny slept all day while I dove. Debby was on topside as she always is watching over me in the kayak and spent most of the day in the sun. By 1:30 pm she had gotten some signs of heat stroke so we put an end to the day. Deb kicked back in the a/c, watched a movie and drinking some cold water while we made the long 1hr trip back to the dock. I sold the gulf balls for $40.00 to a guy on the dock. We cleaned up the gear and boat then headed back home. When we got home at 5pm she was beat red. So for all of you out in the sun be careful. It was a heat index of 100+ today. We will try it again in two weeks after the 4th. That should be a good dive.

Susan got a couple of blisters on her face IN THE SHADE in Florida this weekend. Don't forget to allow for bounce off of water and sand! Always use sunscreen especially if you are fair skinned!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom