Split fins/Frog Kick...No problems..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fall into the mixed, I have a pair of bios and jets. I find the bios do a pretty good job fluttering when I'm milling around the reef. And while I can do a limited frog kick in them its faily sloppy and the glide distance is greatly reduced. My jets Are great wreck and cavern fins and the glide portion of the frog kick is easily double that of the splits. I also find the weight of the jets to be an added bonus when diving dry. Pretty much boils down to choice. Most of my buds that have splits pretty much always flutter, and the guys who have jets pretty much always frog kick. In my personal experience I preffer the splits for the flutter, and the jets for the frog, reverse ect. If you can frog in splits as good as someone in jets then more power to you. I havent been so fortunate in my findings.

I can easily do frog kicks, helicopter turns, and backward kicks with my Apollo BioFins. I still haven't gotten the knack for doing backward kicks with jetfins.

Mike

Well, once again...no problem.

OK Cincy - you just claimed you can kick backwards in a split fin.

I'll tell you what - I'll give you the opportunity to prove us wrong, and show that you can, indeed, maintain a backwards motion in a set of split fins. Not just one kick, but say - moving backwards 10 feet.

If you're going to sit there and say it's no problem - prove it. I say BS, but hey - go ahead, Mr. Agitator supreme.

I'll even put up a small wager - if you can post a video of you kicking backwards in split fins of any shape or size, I'll send you a set of free spring straps for your particular fins, as well as a Paypal for $10 US dollars.

Go ahead - the glove has been dropped.

Boogie711 once bubbled...

OK Cincy - you just claimed you can kick backwards in a split fin.

I'll tell you what - I'll give you the opportunity to prove us wrong, and show that you can, indeed, maintain a backwards motion in a set of split fins. Not just one kick, but say - moving backwards 10 feet.

If you're going to sit there and say it's no problem - prove it. I say BS, but hey - go ahead, Mr. Agitator supreme.

I'll even put up a small wager - if you can post a video of you kicking backwards in split fins of any shape or size, I'll send you a set of free spring straps for your particular fins, as well as a Paypal for $10 US dollars.

Go ahead - the glove has been dropped.

So I have to prove it now huh? Mail me a video tape, video camera with water proof housing and an operator for it and I'll prove you wrong.

And with the name calling you obviously can't avoid...Why in the heck should I do anything for you! First of all..Grow up then get back to me Okay...

Spring straps......I guess someone down here could use them.

But I'm not sure if gambling is even sanctioned by this scubaboard....I'll ask around....

Good Luck with your poor kicking adventures Boogie

You don't have to prove anything. But I'll call BS when I see it.

I know how tough it is to kick backwards in a stiff fin - it's a skill I continue to work on. It's next to impossible in a split fin.

So when you say "Once again, no problems," my BS meter goes off.

Thank you for proving my point. I'm done here. Move along folks - nothing to see here.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
You don't have to prove anything. But I'll call BS when I see it.

I know how tough it is to kick backwards in a stiff fin - it's a skill I continue to work on. It's next to impossible in a split fin.

So when you say "Once again, no problems," my BS meter goes off.

Thank you for proving my point. I'm done here. Move along folks - nothing to see here.

BoogieCow,

I swam in competition for nearly 15 yrs. into Division 1 NCAA. You can probably look that one up without my help. I've been diving for over 20 yrs.. Maybe it's just that my skills are a little more finely tuned than yours.

No problems here for those that wish to have some help using split fins. They work great for everything.

BoogieCow just has issues....he still can't get by the name calling....LMAO

you could probably do all the kicks without any fins at all, but how efficient would it be. When someone says "you can't do this kind of kick in splits" it's not because you can't move in a particular direction. The issues are efficiency (ie. how much effort will it take for the amount of energy spent), silting, gas consumption, unified team concept (ie. what if your buddy has Jets, would you be a liability to the team). So you would have to look at, if they are the best tool to get the job done right. Would a screw driver work better than a hammer for nailing something together? It may work for a while but it certainly would not be as efficient at getting the job done (trust me I know). You can plug in any analogy you can think of, but you have to compare apple to apples, because a fin is not just a fin.

I'm always amazed at how upset someone gets when one person doesn't have , or can't do what someone else can.
I know people that can do things under the water that I will never be able to do as long as I live but I don't get upset because there skills are far better than mine.
Some of you guys really need to get a grip.
Enjoy your diving don't worry about what is and ain't possible for other divers.
Instead of asking how you just call BS. eek:
Good diving to you all
Fred
:

I remember diving with this one guy who used split fins. We were all using the frog kick. This guy would frog kick until he lagged behind, then flutter kicked to catch up, then switched back to the frog kick.

After the dive I made some comment about how splits weren't as good for frog kicking as a stiff blade type fin.

He adamantly informed me that he could frog kick "just fine" with his split fins.

I'm sure it can be done. I'm also equally sure that many of the people who claim they work "just fine" for frog kicking aren't really aware how inefficient they are when they try to frog kick in them. Maybe it's equipment, maybe it's just technique. I just know that I haven't seen anybody be able to keep up with me while frogkicking in splits. I'm sure there are people out there that could blow me away in splits, as well.

It's an individual thing. They work for some, not for others. Until you've tried both (unlike me and the guy I mentioned above), how can you really know? It's possible he would have been just as inefficient with a pair of jets.

Doof once bubbled...
Until you've tried both (unlike me and the guy I mentioned above), how can you really know? It's possible he would have been just as inefficient with a pair of jets.

I've tried both. I really tried hard when I became frustrated trying to teach control using different kicks to divers wearing splits. the result of that effort was that I now rarely allow students to use split fins in class (never in a class like OW that deals with fundimental technique). After class they can use what they want but if they use them in class experience has shown that they'll not be able to perform, they'll become frustrated and they won't pass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom