Regulators - Carry On or checked bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright, we're in Waikoloa and I put all of the dive gear in the checked bags. We only brought our masks and regulators and rented everything else. It worked out fine. Of course there were four of us, so all of the regs in one carry on would have been tight. On several other trips I also put the gear in the checked bags and have had no problems. With the new weight restrictions, it looks like I might be renting BCDs and fins again.

Kohala Divers were great. The four of us had the boat all to ourselves. The captain and crew were excellent. I would certainly recommend them to anyone. Dove Ulua Caverns and Outside Crystal Cove. Too bad we don't have more time to dive other sites. Guess I'll just have to come back!

I might look into travel BC's, but if the rental cost isn't too great, that i a good option as well.

Actually regulations allow for the batteries to remain in the devices. Extra batteries need to be stored so the terminals can not be shorted. This can be done with electrical tape and then just packed so the tape will remain safely in place and undisturbed. The exception to this is large rechargeable cells which may require special handling.

Not everywhere! In the US, yes. In Roatan, no. All batteries must be removed from devices. But the only devices they check are dive lights in your checked luggage. They don't check the batteries in my laptop, PDC, camera bodies, ipods..................

And my reg and computer are always in my carryon.

That's all good until you end up with a TSA moron (happened on the return from Puerto Rico) that flat out refuses and makes you go back to check them at the front counter. Funny. We never seem to have that problem flying out of Indy.

Wrong... Always carry your regulator and your dive computer on with you. They are life support equipment. If you check it and it gets slightly damaged, there's no recourse and you might not know it. Also theft is still a risk as well.

As the airlines say, "Don't check medicines or other valuables." If my regulators and dive computer don't count as "valuable" and "life support", then boo hoo on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom