Honolulu Scuba Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know that I would trust the sub pilots either, I've seen them run into the YO once.
Thanks for the legal aspect of that issue Scotty, I didn't know the diver access was a stipulation of the original contract. Good to know! Still would want to see someone hurt. The incident with the props and the kahala was a case of switching from forward to reverse too quickly

As a sub pilot I have to tell you that there is no more underpowered vehicle on earth. Piloting a sub requires that you project all the vectors thirty or more seconds into the future ... divers need to stay clear.

As a sub pilot I have to tell you that there is no more underpowered vehicle on earth. Piloting a sub requires that you project all the vectors thirty or more seconds into the future ... divers need to stay clear.

I have to agree. I am not sure what it is like on the touring subs, you'd have to kill me to get me on that thing, but the Navy subs are not the easiest thing in the world to work with. You have to plan a lot and take actions way before stuff starts to happen. Its not easy by no means.

So do take note, give them the right of way cause they arent going to be able to move like you are.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to main Hawaii forum as this is a trip report and not a marketplace related thread.

Gosh, I can't imagine not hearing the sub! Even with equalization problems. The sound gets under my skin. ( I liken it to a mosquito on steroids)

That would scare the heck out of me, if it hit me. Very scary! I do not see the amusing part of it.

Are you "Big Mark" my hero?

Andre's friend?

I think it has been three years, I could post the picture of him clobbering me underwater, for laughs.

Just think Sherman, if you were under 30 and had a Mac you could make really good certificates...

Ya OLD MAN, get with the program......:D

How can someone NOT know that the SUB is close? I'm deaf and know to start looking if I hear it..........Catherine, Subcrossing signs.....:rofl3:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll chime in that I can't imagine not being able to hear the subs - you might want to get your hearing checked. I mean this seriously and not in a snarky way.

The only way I can think that you got hit without hearing it is maybe they turned off their engines or something - but I don't know if they do that.

I would hear the drone/hum of the sub way before I could see it, and as it got closer, I could feel the vibration too - really unpleasant. The sort of unpleasant feeling like chewing on aluminum foil.

Back
Top Bottom