Help for a big girl! I'm getting discouraged.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget Bare, they have you covered too.

If you can't find a proper fitting off the rack suit for the waters you will be diving in then by all means go custom. Many many divers use custom suits. This is all adaptive gear and fit is very important so don't sell yourself short, you can have excellence. A custom suit will cost no more than a quality off the rack suit. As long as you are a fit active woman don't hesitate to get involved in the sport.

Pete

Bare goes up to size 18 but check the sizing of their 14 plus, it fits like a size 18-20. Henderson just came out with a line of Hyperstretch that is really great. Good fit, nice colors. Men's suits are just not curvy enough and are generally to long in the leg for a great fit.

:happywave and welcome from one big gal to another

and dont be discourgaged.... wetsuit fittings is a huge pita in this industry so i suggest you go with a custom made if possible as you wont regret a well made suit to fit you

i have heard good things about his company also http://liquidfit.com/

cheers

I bought a men's Henderson suit off the rack. I'm 5'7" and find that I can use the extra length of a men's suit.

Northwoods, sometimes you should think before you type...Since you have no idea what you are talking about. How dare you immediately say lose weight to someone you don't even know.....

Northwoods, sometimes you should think before you type...Since you have no idea what you are talking about. How dare you immediately say lose weight to someone you don't even know.....

Say what you will but its the truth, I'm rather large myself and found it hard to find a suit that fit me right and I dive with people of all shapes and sizes and most of us either got suits wether wet or dry custom cut cause off the shelf sizes just dont work for everyone.

With that said my weight has changed up and down and up and down about 20lbs but my henderson hyperstretch still fits fine no matter what my weight was at, which is a huge deal if you are trying to loose weight or if your weight changes alot.

She mentioned trying to drop weight but wants to get a suit now. That makes little sense as she would grow out of (for lack of a better term) the suit and have to sell it before its hardly used.

If you plan to change weight significantly you cant justify getting a suit especially custom so rent if possible, even if you have to rent a mens suit. If you only dive a few times per year it isn't worth buying a $300-$700 custom wetsuit and having it fall off next year with only 4 dives on it ya know.

I mean no offense but offer the truth, we live in a skinny worlf full of fat and otta shape people. Its dangerous to dive if you are way out of shape and makes finding gear much more difficult and expensive. The only rational thing to do is loose weight. Sorry if that offends you or anyone else but sometimes the truth hurts. T

It's okay.

Whoever can say whatever they want, and opinions are welcome....everyone has one.

My story is this:

I'm a size 18. My ideal size would be around a size 10-12, as I am about 5'-9". I'm not too bothered by what others feel "makes sense" to them in terms of my waiting to dive.

I am a practiced martial artist, I work out regularly, I have a clean bill of health, good BP and heart-rate and am an avid swimmer.

In all honesty to drop from an 18 to a 10 will take quite a while, and I just don't want to wait that long to get started. I may sell suits on EBay or just eat the cost - whatever. I'll worry about money, budget, logistics and what "makes sense" to me.

Thanks to the wonderful and constructive posts here, I have several leads on suits more in the $70-$170 range.

That being said - I DO need to lose weight, and I will do so, slowly, correctly and in a healthy manner.

Until then - I'll continue to do everything I love to do. Life is too short to wait until you're the perfect size.

BTW - Thanks, Cheddar.

Peace.

Henderson, Aeris, and bare come in sizes that will fit you pretty well. The hyperstretch is pretty great. I am a bigger guy and love the hyperstretch myself. If I can help you with anything let me know. My girlfriend is about your size, she loves the aeris shorty in 16 and the henderson hyperstretch. She didn't care for her size in the bare suit.
Brent
www.scubagearpro.com

Try a Harvey's Flex....comes in the size you're looking for, and the neoprene material they are made of allows for "expansion" if needed. Great suits, know a lot of women who thought they needed to go custom who were able to be fitted by them.
Good luck wetsuit hunting and in your "goal"
C-Dawg

Until then - I'll continue to do everything I love to do. Life is too short to wait until you're the perfect size.

Good for you! There are plenty of us who could stand to lose some weight. Whether we do or not, it shouldn't prevent us from enjoying our lives.

And you're far from the largest woman diver I know of. There is a couple here in town that I've been on a couple trips with. He's 6'5" and 320lbs. She's 5'2" and roughly the same! They're great people and a lot of fun to dive with.

Back
Top Bottom