Letting Boys be Boys, But Worried

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I decided to post this in women's views, because as my GF's and I like to say "when father's are watching children, GOD is watching children."
(but males are welcome to answer, if you have ideas!)

So...here is the dilemma. My son who is 14, a young 14, has a kayak now and so does his best friend. They take the bus to the marina and they head out. They go a mile or two, to "duck island" and various places in Hawaii Kai. Last night it was dark and they had been out for more than 5 hours. I yelled at him about being worried and he said "but the moon came up". I don't want to be a killjoy, but should I pack a little marine radio or cell phone in something waterproof? I know they will drop whatever they take in the water. Any ideas?

I guess I could send the IPIRB in something that would float....I don't really want it lost though and boys lose everything.

I need a plan. Oh...they wear ski vests.

can ocean kayaks take on water and sink?

Ok, not a woman, but, I was once a 14 year old boy.

An ocean kayak with waterproof bulkheads will not sink, if it's in one piece. Without bulkheads, they would need additional floatation or they could sink if they filled with water.

They make tiny dry bags for cell phones, and they float, and they have clips so they can be attached to the boat.

The problem with being out after dark though, is that while they can see fine, it is very unlikely that another boater would have any chance of seeing or avoiding them.

If they want to stay out after dark, invest in some waterproof lights, a strong flashlight that they could lash to the deck would do. Plus a waterproof strobe to clip onto their vests would be handy, should they get separated from the boat. Oh, and they do have whistles, right?

Good ideas.

I think they need to be back by dark. So...if it is dark and they are not back, I go looking. Short of filing float plans, I need to know when to be worried, you know?

The cell phone in a clear dry bag could work if it is tethered.

Yes, they are one piece, I did not think they would be sinkable, but somebody said "oh yes..." (I think they are fine)

Whistles, waterproof strobes. Good...I can do that and put them on the vests. Have you seen waterproof strobes anywhere that are reasonable?

Thanks!

Being a former boat owner, the water can be a very unforgiving place, all measures to help out in a difficult situation should be included in his gear, I think that ogd has mentioned quite a few good ones.

I once launched an very sturdy inflatable kayak in a raging river (it looked like the Colorado), the next 5 minutes were some of the scariest I've ever experienced trying to get back to shore. I had no life vest and nobody knew I was there.

catherine96821:
Whistles, waterproof strobes. Good...I can do that and put them on the vests. Have you seen waterproof strobes anywhere that are reasonable?

Thanks!

Try a boating supply store- much less expensive than the strobes sold at dive shops :wink:.

Yea, it's a water culture, the kids here are in the water almost every day. Surfing, etc. But I did tell them to come back when it's getting dark, and to forget the moon.

Good idea, Chickdiver.

catherine96821:
Good ideas.

I think they need to be back by dark. So...if it is dark and they are not back, I go looking. Short of filing float plans, I need to know when to be worried, you know?

The cell phone in a clear dry bag could work if it is tethered.

Yes, they are one piece, I did not think they would be sinkable, but somebody said "oh yes..." (I think they are fine)

Thanks!

What about these Catherine....http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_972/Context_965/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_5%3d170/PTCAS.html?Hit=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom