Letting Boys be Boys, But Worried

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, well I told them they had to be back by dark, I sort of assumed they knew that when they left at 2PM....and I got the "but we had the moon" comment..

They need a light so if they get caught and can't get back, we can find them though.

yea, I will look at the leashes.

Well, I am not a woman either, but I was a 14 year old boy growing up in the desert north of L.A. and had the "home before dark" rule...until my Mom (RIP) and I had a different view on what that meant. It then became a "be home by 6:00 sharp!" rule. Seemed there was no room for interpretation then. And there were consequences! Set a time and all he needs is a waterproof watch!

It is hard (I would imagine) not to try to be a "friend" but a parent first. Not as popular...but you'll sleep better at night!

In any case, being child-FREE (capitals intended)...you should ignore my advice and move on to more legitimate sources!:D

Jon

Catherine, I feel for you sistuh :) These kids.:shakehead That said, personally, I would count on them breaking the rule at least once. Hence, I liked OGD's and some other suggestions. You can ground them or whatever you would like when they return. However, in case they are out past dark they have some safety bits.

Recently, there was a kid that got caught upstream and was lost. He used his cellphone to call for help. I know I am vague on the story.. Someone here on the board posted about it. It will come to me and I will find the thread for you.

Jon C:
Well, I am not a woman either...Seemed there was no room for interpretation then. And there were consequences!

It is hard (I would imagine) not to try to be a "friend" but a parent first. Not as popular...but you'll sleep better at night!

In any case, being child-FREE (capitals intended)...you should ignore my advice and move on to more legitimate sources!

Well, I AM a woman and the parent of a 14-year-old son, and I think Jon's advice is spot on! Clear expectations and firmly enforced consequences are essential.

A cell phone, lights, etc., in a waterproof container are a good idea, but I would suggest making it clear that these are being provided for use ONLY in case of emergency, like bad weather or getting lost. Otherwise, the mind of a 14-year-old may think you're enabling - if not encouraging - him to just break the rules more safely.

You might try contacting Bob3 on this list.

will do, thank-you.

Catherine, I feel for you sistuh These kids.

and I thought I was being hard core by making them wear vests!
I'm going to tell them they are lucky. Kids that can swim, don't like wearing those, you know? But I do make them wear those, just not in this picture. (I was working on the boat) They are so excited to be able to paddle to restaurants in the bay.

DSC_0079-2.jpg

dlndavid:
heck, that was a rule for playing outside as a kid, when the street lights come on, time to come in.

Same rule in my house...when I was growing up and now that my kids are old enough to be roaming the neighborhood.

As for the cellphone in a ziplock bag (no offense Frank), I've seen too many waterlogged phones from leaky ziplock bags. How about a nice little dry bag or dry box with a tether to keep it in...and an additional reminder to make sure the GPS locator in the phone's programming is turned on. (Personally, for myself and my husband, I resent the potential invasion of my privacy, but my for kids, I appreciate the security.)

BubblesUp:
Well, I AM a woman and the parent of a 14-year-old son, and I think Jon's advice is spot on! Clear expectations and firmly enforced consequences are essential.

Wow, never thought I would hear that! Thanks BubblesUp!

Scuba diver, ex-rock star, Sales and Marketing genius, legendary (local) basketball icon, inventor of the Electronic Pasta Fork, owner of the largest Pet Rock Collection in California, and now I am a PARENTAL ADVISOR on a "Women Only" forum!!! We are all truly doomed!:wink:

Jon

Sounds like you have recieved some good advice. You should be glad that he is getting outside and not just sitting at home playing video games and on the computer. Of course living in Hawaii helps with that :)

~Jess

Back
Top Bottom