Routing a 5ft Octo Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, there's the rub. I'm not an instructor, just working towards my AI at the moment. Don't really have much interest in instructing (I don't believe I have the patience ). I'm only getting AI to count for confined water ratios when I volunteer. :)

Oh, I know you're not an instructor.

Some of the best divers I know are not instructors, and do not have a desire to be one.

That just hurts too much to think about. They are exactly what this sport needs because what we have now is 12-beer-ugly, and ain't working. :D

Guess that makes me a selfish b@%#$%... :wink:

lishen:
I've been reading here a bunch and have come across one method for routing a 5ft octo hose on a bp/w setup (tucked into the waist belt), does anyone else have any suggestions as to how I could route my hose?

PS-don't want to get into the whole 5ft/7ft long hose/necklaced octo discussion because its not really an option now. I'm working as a DM in classes and my LDS wants me to be able to demonstrate OOA scenarios as if I were a student.

Any ideas?
You are using your regulator in two ways:
  1. To demo octopus use.
  2. To shove at a student who may not even know that they need it yet.
I’ve found that the best place for such a regulator is under the left arm and tucked, not clipped, into the waist strap on the left side. This way you can keep your right hand free, grab it by the hose at the regulator with your left hand and deliver it up to the student in the same configuration that the student is used to seeing. BTW: that’s a great use for an old OMEGA II second stage that may be kicking about.

SparticleB:

There's a lot to be said for mentoring.

I'd like to know who it was that started you down the path you've taken. It surely is a less traveled one.

Scuba_Steve:
SparticleB:

There's a lot to be said for mentoring.
Its the best, if....if you get a good mentor. I know I did.

Drewski:
First off, the average "Joe" or "Jane" diver is just NOT that aware underwater.

They ONLY want to put on a tank, drop to the 35 FT bottom and look at all the pretty fishes. They don't want to be bothered with all the other stuff. Some of these folks have the "awareness" of a 16 year old talking on a cell phone while driving on the interstate.

Given that, I'd think that they'd want to use an equipment configuration that makes sharing air as easy as possible, and a long hose is demonstrably easier to share with/from than a short hose.

I was taught, from day 1, to pass the primary in my SSI class. The hose was standard length and we switched to an AIR2, but that is no more or less complicated than donating a long hose. I was not taught to snatch it. That's foolish.

Soggy:
I was taught, from day 1, to pass the primary in my SSI class. The hose was standard length and we switched to an AIR2, but that is no more or less complicated than donating a long hose. I was not taught to snatch it. That's foolish.

The process of donating the hose isn't more or less complicated, but continuing a dive or ascending (particularly in unpredictable current) while sharing air with someone connected to you by no more than a couple of feet is a different story.

Blackwood:
The process of donating the hose isn't more or less complicated, but continuing a dive or ascending (particularly in unpredictable current) while sharing air with someone connected to you by no more than a couple of feet is a different story.

For the life of me I can't imagine divers continuning a dive if, for some reason, one needed to donate a regulator to the other. That sure seems foolish.

Now maybe I'm wrong but in the other situation you mention; i.e., ascending in unpredictable current, it would seem to me that being close enough to hold on to one another would be far better than for one to be free hanging off some long hose trying to manage the distance so the current doesn't rip them apart pulling the reg out of ones mouth.

My PADI instructor taught us to donate the octo and hold onto each other's BC while ascending. Since I use an Atomic SS1 I would donate the primary but basically the same difference.

Can you explain how free hanging and dangling off the end of a long hose in unpredictable current is better? Just wondering if my instructor was full of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom