Routing a 5ft Octo Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lishen:
Bismark, Drewski--
Thanks for the advise. I'm gonna have to make a run to Kmart to pick up some inner tubing. I'm gonna try using the s-bend and storing it on the tank itself. Sounds like a pain to set up but seems like the most secure way to stow it. Any recommendations as to the size of inner tube needed to fit around the tank? I'll be diving either AL80s or AL50s in classes.

Not only is it a pain to set up, it's impossible to re-stow it after a drill. Why not stow it DIR style but on top of the primary reg hose? Just deploy it to your student the same way you would your primary if it were the long hose.

Regarding the inner tube question if you decide to go that way, just make your own with rubber glue. (Not rubber cement that you use for paper projects; glue that is designed to make permanent bonds with rubber to rubber contact.) Cut a strip from any tube and size it as you want.

Well with an open water student its definetly nice to have the Octo already deployed and ready to stick in their mouth when your doing skills that require the reg to be out of mouth.

Cheekymonkey:
Well with an open water student its definetly nice to have the Octo already deployed and ready to stick in their mouth when your doing skills that require the reg to be out of mouth.

Check you PMs.... We've actually dived together in Brownstone!

Why not just breathe the long hose, donate from mouth, go to bungied backup that's hanging around the neck?
Seems to be the quickest, safest, easiest method to donate air. :wink:

Sharky1948:
Not only is it a pain to set up, it's impossible to re-stow it after a drill. Why not stow it DIR style but on top of the primary reg hose? Just deploy it to your student the same way you would your primary if it were the long hose.

There's nothing remotely DIR about any of this.

This thread is however a prime example of how unfixable the nonsense of octo's length, stowing, stuffing, donanting from some holder and hope it works, golden triangle garbage is.

I think the question should be, since most of this stuff is band-aids over and infected wound, why not just drop the methodolgy that doesn't work, and just go with what does?

If not that, then it really doesn't matter how you want to do it because it has problems galore everywhere you turn.

But then that would be the DIR answer, and we can't have that because it actually makes sense. :wink:

regards

The best is when you see someone who has their octo CLIPPED OFF or zipped up in a pocket somewhere... Obviously that will work in an emergency. :rolleyes:

Scuba_Steve:
There's nothing remotely DIR about any of this.

This thread is however a prime example of how unfixable the nonsense of octo's length, stowing, stuffing, donanting from some holder and hope it works, golden triangle garbage is.

I think the question should be, since most of this stuff is band-aids over and infected wound, why not just drop the methodolgy that doesn't work, and just go with what does?

If not that, then it really doesn't matter how you want to do it because it has problems galore everywhere you turn.

But then that would be the DIR answer, and we can't have that because it actually makes sense. :wink:

regards

I think we were all just trying to help the OP with a reasonable answer, given the constraints imposed by the instructors he is supporting without getting into religious arguments.

Hi again,

I went to a tire store and asked for a car tire innertube and rather than pick up a new one the nice guys there showed me a bin filled with old inner tubes they were thowing away. I picked out a couple that looked like they would fit my al 80's and a couple that were a bit bigger and would fit my lp 95's and it didn't cost a penny. I cut enough strips to kit out 20 people and still had some left over.

As an aside, after reading all the comments above, I thought I would add my two cents as well. My personal thoughts are that when I am teaching new students I wear the same type of gear arrangement that they see in most of their books etc. I feel they have enough task saturation on their pool work and first couple of dives that I don't want to add any further confusion to their program. On the last couple of OW dives I might show them alternative arrangements such as bpw and long octo hose arrangements, etc. I try not to confuse the issue too much but I want them to be critical thinkers and go through the process of learning and exploration for themselves. I will try and explain the pros anc cons of the various gear arrangements without "brainwashing" them as to my personal views. It is pretty difficult to do this but I think the net result is an informed, critical thinking, student who will possibly provide the same unbiased information exchange to fellow divers or future students. If they move on to tec diving or learn more about DIR and continue that path, I hope they maintain their same open-minded and critically thinking attitude I tried to encourage and foster in their open water classes.

Just some of my thoughts here.

Cheers,

Bismark,

Well said.

Brainwashed is teaching a gear config that is useless, but because that's what the instructor who taught you used, and that is what your agency would prefer, you do the same dumb thing.

The problems with it are evident, even as this thread shows, yet being brainwashed you use it anyway, for no good reason.

Believe it or don't, there are lots of dumb ways to rig gear, most of which can be found in most rec agencies teachings and divers.

The thinking diver needs only to see this, and then remove themselves from that nonsense ASAP if they find themselves waist deep in it. It has nothing to do with narrowmindedness, quite the opposite, and has everything to do with opening up your eyes to the obviousness before you.

Back
Top Bottom