Routing a 5ft Octo Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
For the life of me I can't imagine divers continuning a dive if, for some reason, one needed to donate a regulator to the other. That sure seems foolish.

Deco obligation, getting out of an overhead environment, returning to an anchor line, etc.. If I am forced to share air and I can ascend directly, I will do so.

Don Janni:
Can you explain how free hanging and dangling off the end of a long hose in unpredictable current is better? Just wondering if my instructor was full of it.

One wouldn't necessarily hang 6' away. I like for there to be slack in the line.

Or swimming into shore under a kelp canopy.

Thalassamania:
Or swimming into shore under a kelp canopy.

Or avoiding heavy chop on the surface. Or heavy boat traffic. Or a number of other things.

There are any number of factors that make it impossible or unwise to directly ascend, and it could be a pain-in-the-butt to maneuver with someone tied to your face by a mere few feet.

Blackwood:
Or avoiding heavy chop on the surface. Or heavy boat traffic. Or a number of other things.

There are any number of factors that make it impossible or unwise to directly ascend, and it could be a pain-in-the-butt to maneuver with someone tied to your face by a mere few feet.

Ascend directly... that implies you are not holding onto the other person so in the unpredictable current situation how do manage to stay close enough to not have a problem keeping the reg in your mouth?

My left hand is wrapped around their scrawny, stupid, out-of-air, er ... right shoulder strap.

Don Janni:
Ascend directly... that implies you are not holding onto the other person so in the unpredictable current situation how do manage to stay close enough to not have a problem keeping the reg in your mouth?

Huh?

Where are these unpredictable currents that are going to take two divers that are only a few feet away from each other in different directions? How is a short hose going to prevent this?

Consider this very common situation. You're on a wreck, 150' from the mooring line. Shipwrecks are often in shipping channels (go figure) and often the boat is tied into it and is immobile. This is status quo in the north east and many other areas. One of you goes out of gas. Ascending directly to the surface would be foolish, especially if you have planned your dive, as you should have, such that you have rock bottom reserved plus enough gas to reach your exit point. Have fun making that swim while kissing each other.

Stop solving problems that don't exist. It's fairly obvious that you don't have any experience using a long hose and have a prejudice of it based on some imaginary situation.

Don Janni:
Can you explain how free hanging and dangling off the end of a long hose in unpredictable current is better? Just wondering if my instructor was full of it.

I think the idea of a long hose is for say you're in a cave or some other restricted space where you can't turn around... guy behind you is out of air and the closest he is gonna get is his face in your fins, a 6 foot hose can reach past the length of your body and make it to him.

For ascending, you'd still want to be holding onto the other persons BC to keep control on the way up, and after you surface you'd still want to hang on while the other person orally inflates their BC.

For continueing a dive (ie: not ascending immediatly but leaving a cave or getting back to the dive line first) you'd want a longer hose so the other person isn't in your face but the two of you can semi-comfortable swim out. You wouldn't want to swim along attached to someone elses BC facing them. Would be difficult for both of you.

Some slack is good if a current pulls the two of you apart... instead of someone getting a reg ripped out of their mouth, they have some room for adjustment. I think ideally, after I donated my reg I'd want them to hang onto my tank or something as we went back to the diveline so we wouldn't be seperated for any reason.

Ditto to what Blackwood said, why can you not direclty ascend while keeping contact.

Cheekymonkey:
Ditto to what Blackwood said, why can you not direclty ascend while keeping contact.
Seen it done...you just need to have good control of your buoyancy and trim. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom