Chalk Airlines Fatal Crash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, whos moving and pasting posts together? There was a reason I posted this in the public safety diver section. I had a ligitimate question / comment about the Public Safety Divers working this incident.

Thanks

Mark

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but this is the FIRST fatal crash in Chalk's history since 1919. I'd say that's quite an impressive track record.

howarde:
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but this is the FIRST fatal crash in Chalk's history since 1919. I'd say that's quite an impressive track record.

Howard,
Actually, Chalks had a fatal crash in 1994, involving two pilots that crashed in Key West Harbor. This is the first fatality involving passengers. It is so sad, for both the families and the airline. They had such a unique concept. I hope they can survive this.

Right... That's what I meant.

Thanks Joyce.

Several comments on this thread. I don't know what caused the crash, but several years ago one or two very old planes (one of them a naval B-24 variant) crashed while fighting wild fires in the west. They lost a wing while pulling Gs on water drops due to undetected aging defects in the airframes. Lots of these planes are 50 -60 years old.

One scenario here might be structural failure in the wing on intial climbing with immediate fuel line break and fire. Might look a lot like an explosion blowing the wing off.

Regarding colored fins: On a recent beach dive off SoCal in bad visibility, everyone in my group said they appreciated being able to follow my yellow fins and wondered why all fins aren't yellow.

Finally, this situation was tailor made for "good samaratins" as first-responders. If there were survivors on the surface or in air pockets (no chance given impact) their best chance for rescue would be from the first people on the scene be they surfers on boards, tourists on wave-runners or pink-finned ladies on their second post-certification dive. I didn't hear anything about some of the rescuers needing rescuing so they all did a good job.

Jim

LAJim:
Regarding colored fins: On a recent beach dive off SoCal in bad visibility, everyone in my group said they appreciated being able to follow my yellow fins and wondered why all fins aren't yellow.

Finally, this situation was tailor made for "good samaratins" as first-responders. If there were survivors on the surface or in air pockets (no chance given impact) their best chance for rescue would be from the first people on the scene be they surfers on boards, tourists on wave-runners or pink-finned ladies on their second post-certification dive. I didn't hear anything about some of the rescuers needing rescuing so they all did a good job.
Jim

You said it very well - My thoughts exactly - Thank you!!

I took that same flight about 3 months ago to Bimini. Kinda crazy..

someone said something about it being a dive site in the future. I doubt it will be a very good dive site in the future...they said it is in a major lane for large ships, and subject to strong currents.

My prayers go out to the victims of this tragedy

pbowl:
I took that same flight about 3 months ago to Bimini. Kinda crazy..

I flew on one of the Grumman Turbo Mallards to Bimini last year. Same thing, quite an adventure. The planes are really old. If they are properly maintained they look like a tough, reliable aircraft. My return flight was delayed by a day due to mechanical problems with a plane and the 2 divers I was with had the same delays the next day. They had to take a boat over to South Bimini and fly from there. I heard Chalks was being sold. Anyway....

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom