Chalk Airlines Fatal Crash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So much for NFPA standards.
I'm all over the pink fins though :) Compliant or not, they have class and would be welcome in our trailer!
Tol

Tragic, any time of the year. Just wondering if there were any Scuba boarders on that flight?

My heart goes out to the families.

I flew on Chalk about 6 years ago, and one of the wheels fell off on takeoff from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. After we were in the air the pilot was radioed and was told that a jumbo jet full of (scared) passengers saw the wheel skipping across the runway. The pilots thought we didn't know about it and said we were getting a special "tour" around the city, until one of my buddies told him that he saw a wheel fall off. Luckily we had an uneventful water landing in Miami and later flew on to Bimini. On our trip back we were told a maintenance person was fired over the situation. Even after that and what happened today, I would still fly with them.

Wildcard:
Tragic, any time of the year. Just wondering if there were any Scuba boarders on that flight?

I certainly hope not! In fact, I hope the families of these people aren't SB'ers either. I would hate to be reading some of the posts here if I had someone I loved on that plane...

My prayers g out to those families.....

What a tragedy.... I wonder if there were any divers on that plane. It was going to the bahamas.... Does anyone here know of anyone that was flying to the bahamas.... I feel really bad about this, and my heart felt feeling are out to the families and friends of those on board.

My first dive trip-Blackbeard's-about three days in, on a beautiful afternoon we were under sail and one of their planes made a low pass directly over the main. One of the most beautiful and memorable sights ever.

It's a sad day for me.

My God bless their souls.

The latest news says that of undecided 19 or 20 folks aboard 11 were Bimini citizens returning home. What a horrible loss for such a small community.

Has anyone talked to any of the Blackbeard folks? I have a good friend who formerly was divemaster on the Morning Star. I'm worried he knew someone in the crash. Couldn't raise him on the phone earlier.

A sad, sad thing indeed. My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the passengers and crew. From the current news reports and pictures, there was a fire in the wing either in the engine or near it. Possibly a fuel leak? The NTSB will find out what caused this one. Unfortunately, there was nothing the pilots could have done to prevent this one unless they missed a fuel leak while doing the preflight. We will find out, but it will probably take a year before the NTSB comes out with a final report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom