Chalk Airlines Fatal Crash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am very sad to hear this news. When I lived in St. Thomas, we often took the seaplane to Puerto Rico. It's a different kind of flying, and it's fun. My heart goes out to the families of those who were lost.

Wow, that's scary. I had been looking forward to taking one of these to Bimini this fall. I had heard about the crash, but didn't know it was one of these.

So very sad.

My prayers go out to the family. If you get to thinking about it this could have been any of us.

I was watching the news today and they were splashing this downed aircraft all over the television; Dang near every channel. I noticed that the folks diving around whats left of the plane in about 30 ft of water looked like they were wearing normal rec type gear, down to the green and pink (yea, pink) fins! At one point I even saw a guy in snorkel gear dive down and bring back up a body! (damn press, never know what your gonna get to see on a live news shoot, ask me the story sometime about my shiny white fanny making the 6 o'clock live news!) You could see the oil, gas, ect floating on the surface!
Surely Miami has a better prepared dive squad than that!

Just to set the record, I'm not a PSD, nor do I ever have the want, need, or desire to become one. Hell, I didn't even stay at a holiday inn last night. But I am an Emergency Manager.

Most of the aerial shots had them wearing their masks on their foreheads too, they got the job done. There were a bunch of different organizations doing the recovery. I think the first boat was on scene in two minutes.

DennisS:
Most of the aerial shots had them wearing their masks on their foreheads too
LOL
Oh geez, That discussion is why I try to stay outta the basic discussion area!

I have to agree, they got the job done, but at what risk to themselves? If I send in my firefighters, hazmat guys, or even road dept crews without their proper PPE, my butts gonna end up in a sling somewhere no matter if someone gets hurt or not!

Mark

So if you wear pink and green fins you can't be a good diver?

the news said that many of the people aiding in the recovery were private boaters who arrived on the scene to help. This is the 'major inlet' for the area and I can imagine that there were boats all around it when it happened.

while these people were wearing colored fins, I'm sure they were purely recreational people only trying to help being the first on the scene.

Back
Top Bottom