ZRC Paint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66

Contributor
Reaction score
I was touching up a steel cylinder with the ZRC Cold Galvanizing Compound and I wonder about it's resistance to solvents. IE a day ago I cleaned the rusted area over my Hydro date stamp and rolled the ZRC on it. Today I went to look at it and noticed it was too faint so I grabbed a rag, dipped it in Xylene and wiped it back off. It was dry to the touch when I did that. I was thinking I'd have to use other methods to clean it back to where I could see the hydro date stamp.

Now because of how easy that was I'm wondering how long this paint takes to cure so it's resistant, or if it ever gets that way. Will it stand up to normal diving?

All I want is for it to keep it from re-rusting and not obscure the markings. My dive shop suggested it was good for this purpose, and I've seen here where people paint their cylinders with it so I assume it's going to set up to be resistant at some point.

ZRC has NO resistance to solvents, salt/fresh water is not a solvent-You're fine

The zinc in the ZRC will be consumed by galvanic action over time-just re-apply

I just tested two of my ZRC coated tanks with laquer thinner, a stonger solvent than xylene and it had no effect. I think the ZRC wasn't completely cured when you put the xylene on it. 24 hours is too short a time for it to be completely cured. It should be cured in a week. It is definately the best product to use.

Now that is news I like, I could live with that. I liked the paint though. I called the company and they told me a week to cure, but in reality it might be cured in 24 to 48 hours and then over the rest of it's life it is constantly curing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom