Zodiac or Mercury RIB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fouremco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm considering buying a RIB for a dive platform, mostly for by wife/buddy and I. Based on my on-line research, I'm leaning towards a Zodiac Pro 7 Man or a Mercury DR400, possibly DR450. While I'm not totally decided, I think I'll go with an open configuration without console, mostly to maximize the available room.

I'd really appreciate comments from anyone familiar with these RIB's.

I have a buddy who just bought a Mercury RIB. It's a 20 footer and very nice. The quality of the boat is very high. However, if you just want an open boat take a look at the Zodiac Bombard series. They are significantly less money and very lightweight.

For the size boat your looking for I would definately consider the no console option. Space is alway an issue.

My suggested configuration for a 4.5 boat is no console with bow locker (for your anchor) and an internal fuel tank (if available). If the internal tank is an option definately order it that way. It's one less thing in cockpit and puts the weight where you want it.

Also, it's also worth noting a few Canadian manufacuters: Polaris (www.polarisboats.com) and Airsolid (www.boatairsolid.com)

Polaris is in BC and can do just about anything you want to customize your boat. Air Solid is in Montreal and have a good boat with great prices. It's worth a phone call to the Polaris folks. They are really friendly and will customize just about any piece of the boat especially dive ladders and tank racks anyway you prefer.

Good Luck
Tony

"Tasarsailor: How much are the Polaris boats? I'm looking to get something around 14'. Thanks for the info."

Give the Polaris folks a call. I think they have a list of base prices but you really want to talk to them for any customization that you might want. They can do anything you are willing to pay for. Near as I can tell they don't stock too many boats. Everything is generally built to order.

As an example:If I were ordering a boat I would source a tank rack or tank rack design and have them build in reinforced attachement points into the deck. Also for a smaller boat maybe a hard cover for the fuel tank and battery so that area would become usuable space.

I bought a tankcaddy a while ago and love it. It would be very easy to provide attachement point for it on the deck. Then when you aren't diving you can take that gear out.

Good luck

If it helps any, someone else makes the Mercury boat, I think it's Zodiac. Also, the Scout plant is making the fiberglass parts of the RIB's for Zodiac. Look into AB too, my business partner has one and it seems like a nice boat and it's less money and weight than the Zodiac. For a couple extra bucks, you can get an Aluminum one instead of fiberglass that would hold up to diving better.

Thanks Tasarsailor. Saw a half-dozen fully-loaded Airsolid dive boats on Sunday. Definitely an option to consider, tho' in a mch reduced size - and price!

I bought a BRIG and I love it! Where are you located? You can buy dealer direct, if you do not have a local dealer. I have the 4.5 meter. I cannot get a picture to load even though its 76kb. Any help uploading would be appreciated

http://www.briginflatable.com/

Dawktah:
I bought a BRIG and I love it! Where are you located? You can buy dealer direct, if you do not have a local dealer. I have the 4.5 meter. I cannot get a picture to load even though its 76kb. Any help uploading would be appreciated

http://www.briginflatable.com/

Can't say that I'm familiar with this manufacturer, but I might consider them.

Is the 4.5 meter a Falcon Rider? What motor and other equipment did you get?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom