Zipper replacement on CF 300 suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogman82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've bought a used cf300 suit and it needs a new zipper. I was planning on doing the installation myself, but what adhesive is recommended for this? I've heard that DUI specifies Carboline for zipper and boot installations, is this correct? Can I use PB300? Or do I have to use a two part adhesive?

Thanks!

Hi!

Thank you for your inquiry. Congrats on your new purchase! I would not recommend installing the zipper yourself with an adhesive. Typically, zippers installed with adhesives alone start to come apart. We sew AND seal the zipper at DUI.

Please let me know if you would like to send your suit in and we would be more than happy to get that zipper switched out for you!

Thanks again!

Jessica
DUI

Hi again, I carefully examined the suit and the zipper is not sewn, only glued and it looks like it is very well adhered to the suit. This is an older cf 300, the date on the zipper indicates that it was installed in -98.

I replaced the zipper on my older 1995 CF200 crushed neoprene suit. It was a major pain because the material kept wanting to stick to the zipper as I removed it. I used a zipper from OS Systems, in which they matched Global's pricing of around $120. I used PB300, then sealed the edges with Aqua Seal. It survived a couple hundred more dives before I finally retired it to back up status.

Using an iron is something I found to work better for zipper removal than a heat gun. Working very slowly with a sharp blade, and a couple plastic tools seemed to get the job done, but it took a long time since the material kept wanting to separate.

You can read a bunch of threads about zipper repairs listed below.

This is exactly my experience as well. Tried to loosen the old zipper with a heat gun, but it was pretty much useless. So I cut out the old zipper teeth in line with the drysuit material and thorougly sanded the remaining zipper still glued to the suit. My plan was to glue the new zipper to the old one and aquaseal it. Now I just have to order a zipper online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom