Zero to Master Scuba Diver in 10 months

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But, a Master's degree is usually significantly less time than is required to get the Bachelor's. In contrast, the scuba "Bachelor's" takes a weekend and 4 dives. The scuba "Master's" is 5 full specialties and 50 dives. So, if you want to use the university analogy, I think the Master Scuba Diver more than exceeds what one should expect based on the preceding requirements.

What carries more weight--time or difficulty? Five specialties readily can be earned by almost any diver. Instructors here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I have to believe virtually nobody who has their eyes set on "Master Diver" fails a specialty course. But if you cast your mind back in the place of the average OW student, think how difficult it is for them. OW is quite the hurdle for many divers. Some probably drop out. And for us old crustaceans, the OW course took more than just one weekend--mine took two. Most specialties are a cakewalk compared with OW, where you have to build into muscle memory stuff that was totally alien and learn some theory that also may be completely novel to the average student. For example, if you already have a grasp of tables, then the Nitrox tables are just more of the same to you.

First of all congrats in getting to where you are in such a short time.

You have probably spent a small fortune doing so given all the courses and gear you have purchased during that period, my suggestion for the next 10 months is to go and dive locally or somewhere else and add experience in as many different conditions as you are able to handle and afford.

What carries more weight--time or difficulty? Five specialties readily can be earned by almost any diver. Instructors here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I have to believe virtually nobody who has their eyes set on "Master Diver" fails a specialty course. But if you cast your mind back in the place of the average OW student, think how difficult it is for them. OW is quite the hurdle for many divers. Some probably drop out. And for us old crustaceans, the OW course took more than just one weekend--mine took two. Most specialties are a cakewalk compared with OW, where you have to build into muscle memory stuff that was totally alien and learn some theory that also may be completely novel to the average student. For example, if you already have a grasp of tables, then the Nitrox tables are just more of the same to you.

In the end, as it has been said many times, I think it comes down to the instructor. My Wreck course was WAY harder than anything we did in the OW class. And, MSD requires Rescue (at least, for PADI and SDI). I suppose you could take 4 total fluff specialties for the other requirements, but there's no getting around Rescue and I thought it was also way more challenging than OW. I suppose a PADI or SDI OW course COULD be harder than getting the 4 specialties plus Rescue plus 50 dives that are required for MSD, but it is hard for me, with my limited experience, to imagine. I'd say that people who drop out of OW would not have a prayer of completing MSD in anywhere close to 50 dives.

PADI MSD means OWD, AOWD, Rescue Diver, 5 specialties, EFR, and 50 dives, good for anyone who had it. Better yet if you have 100s, or 1000+ dives.

Rescue is hard--no question there. Mine was four days. I suppose I neglected to consider how hard Rescue was. I agree it can come down to the quality/dedication of the instructor as to how difficult it might be to earn Master Scuba Diver, or any other cert for that matter. I rarely encountered an instructor in the PADI system who did much more than the minimum, but I know they exist--they are here on SB.

Rescue is hard--no question there. Mine was four days. I suppose I neglected to consider how hard Rescue was. I agree it can come down to the quality/dedication of the instructor as to how difficult it might be to earn Master Scuba Diver, or any other cert for that matter. I rarely encountered an instructor in the PADI system who did much more than the minimum, but I know they exist--they are here on SB.

I had several, I was fortunate

Correct.

I'm curious what others (besides PADI and SDI) have a Master Scuba Diver cert that is different, to any significant degree, from PADI and SDI.

Sorry, thought you were PADI as the course work sounds the same. You can do a search on here-its been beat to death "NAUI vs PADI Master Diver". The short version is that NAUI requires a course which has at least 8 dives and the academics are considered by many to be very good. "Instructor level knowledge without the leadership" is what you'll hear a lot. NAUI does not (or did not) require rescue but they have rescue / recovery as part of the MD program. Then the Navy has the US Navy Master Diver which probably truly is. That's about all I know on the differences, I'm not an instructor so....and I have very little brand loyalty. I've got cards from all those guys.

I'd say that people who drop out of OW would not have a prayer of completing MSD in anywhere close to 50 dives.

Seeing as OW certification is a prerequiste to all of the other requirements for MSD... I'm thinking you're probably correct on this.

:D

Seeing as OW certification is a prerequiste to all of the other requirements for MSD... I'm thinking you're probably correct on this.

:D

There's a first time for everything!

The (PADI) Wreck course I took was also pretty challenging. Not so much for the other specialties. I liken Rescue to OW in that you compare the manuals and there is a similar amount of info. to digest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom