Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind (and Scuba Thailand)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funrecdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As a long time traveler to Thailand (around 30 years) and a "born again" scuba diver (after a decade of layoff in the corporate world), I just spent quite a lot of time reading though some of the old threads in this forum (Thailand Forum on ScubaBoard).

The discussions of "cold water instructors are better than tropic water instructors" and all the passionate arguments about bad experiences with dive shops in the past and the "expert's bickering" threads, reminded me of the theme of the book Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki.

In a nutshell, Shunryu Suzuki opines that happiness and an enjoyable life is based on our individual ability to retain the "beginner's mind". Suzuki reminds us that beginners have passion, zeal and an open mind for the new path they are traveling on (beginning). "Experts" tend to close their minds because they "know so much". In this mind, Suzuki explains that it is "the experts" who have the most misery, as they are constantly being critical of details and those who have less experience. "Beginners" (and "experts" who maintain the mind of the beginner) are generally much happier and much more open minded (big mind v. little mind).

Suzuki reminds his readers that the day-to-day challenge for life (and the correct way for living in his view) is for "experts" to maintain "the mind of the beginner". I have found this view to be correct both from personal observation (of my inner self) and observing others. (However, I also suffer from the mind of the "expert", so I don't claim any special skills here!)

As an example, I was recently in Chiang Mai and met a guy (early 40s) who just came to Thailand for the first time. I was so amazed. He had the "beginner's mind" regarding every girl he met and thought they were all so *beautiful*. Me, on the other hand ... having spend much of my life here in LOS, have the mind of the "expert" when it comes to women (and so many other things) here, and unfortunately don't share the "they are all so beautiful" beginner's perspective, as my friend did. I really admired him, however, because he was having so much more fun than me. He was happy with anyone and everyone. (I wish I could feel like that again!) I told him so, of course, and we had great laughs about it. (He was constantly bringing me girls to meet, and asking me my opinion, which makes for some great stories.)

On ScubaBoard, admittedly, I have only read threads in the Thailand forum, yet my impression is that there are many "experts" here who could also benefit from "beginner's mind" as Shunryu Suzuki advises his readers. Of course, this is not only true in Thailand-scuba, but everywhere, regarding most every topic.

For most of us, Scuba is a RECREATIONAL SPORT. That means, naturally, it is supposed to be RECREATIONAL. It certainly would be more fun, it seems, if those who are so "expert" and "have so many experiences" and are often so negative about the sport (and the people, businesses, trade, experiences) along the way, could just adopt the beginner's mind, if only for a few tidal cycles, LOL.

Having said that, I am the first to admit that I also suffer greatly from "the mind of the expert" in many areas, including my prior technical work, my experiences with women over the years, food, resorts and travel, and I suffer from the same problems (annoyance, low tolerance, lack of patience, being grumpy, overly opinionated) from the lofty perspective of my "experience" and "expertise". I am much more a sinner than a saint, for sure.

So, perhaps in 5 or 10 years of constant diving, I'll lose the scuba-beginner's mind, which I have recently found again (and all the associated happiness with it). So, I don't really have much wisdom to share, and certainly don't practice Zen well either. Like I said, I am "the beginner" here, and suffer from being "the expert" elsewhere.

My point is only to remind myself, and perhaps others, of the value, and the happiness that springs (and neaps!) from maintaining the mind of the beginner in all aspects of life.

... and of course, especially scuba in Thailand, as it is supposed to be a recreational sport for most of us, and most of us came here for the fun of it all.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Beautiful post.

I know with training horses, I have said for years that the most fun is the first two months, because every single day is some wonderful piece of progress. A year later, you're nitpicking whether the circles are perfectly round, and wonder has given way to dissatisfaction.

When I was a new diver, I saw something new every dive. Nowadays, I'm irritated with myself if I lose some buoyancy control during a midwater bag shoot. A little beginner's mind would be a great thing :)

Thanks for a nice "begining". I came to this dive stuff a bit late (4+ years ago) and only get to dive on trips (which obviously are only in warm water...) so I try to make sure I get in a couple/three 2 week trips a year. In a way they become mini-reruns of Suzuki's challenge. I start fresh but after a few days need to make sure I'm not becoming too "expert" (in attitude, I'm not talking dive skills). What seems to make the difference is what I allow myself to really see.

We dive Bonaire a lot and are back soon. It's easy to be at a spot and say "Hey, let's just dive this again instead of packing up and moving." I know we'll never "repeat" a dive though. It's a constant change going on down there when you really look for it. About the time I think "Haven't I seen that same gorgonian before?" I see something else next to it or something swims by to completely change the dive. ("OMG, that is a frogfish!").

My point is it's up to me to discern the wonders being presented and lose the "Aw, I've seen all this stuff..." attitude of the "expert". Thanks for the reminder that it is a constant game to do this, it's NOT a "job" to do it. That way when I see that same barrel sponge or go across a reef that reminds me of some other one I'll play the game of "Yeah, but I wonder what I'll see different this time!". Oh yeah--welcome to SB! // ww

Great post. Shunryu Suzuki books sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

I'm generally a pretty cynical guy but you've got me intrigued

Scuba is actually a sport that enables one to "start over" every few years with a variety of courses,
Training, dive site types, locations, gear configurations. In short the beginners mind is very mich possible and, I've found, quite common.

Nice post, Zen is good stuff, sitting Zen is very good stuff

I really enjoyed your post, funrec! I have found that teaching new divers has helped me keep the sense of wonder you describe as "beginner's mind." After surfacing with a student diver on her/his first ocean dive, I always look forward to hearing, "Wow! Did you see that blue sea star?" This works in much the same way that you describe when you talk about your first-time-in-Thailand friend and his wonder at the marvels of Chiang Mai nightlife.

I have also found that even experienced divers who are visiting new destinations can recapture that "beginner's mind" sense of wonder. For example, I once had a husband-wife buddy team of instructors from Hawaii (with thousands of dives each) rhapsodize over the anemones on Anemone Reef. Most of us who dive here frequently hardly even notice these animals any longer, but having a diver with a "beginner's mind" remind us of all of these "ordinary" joys we so often overlook helps foster a renewed appreciation for them.

Thanks again for the post!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom