Zen and the Art of Diving Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocWong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This was one of those dives that I can only describe as "Pure Joy."

It wasn't deep, it wasn't even rough and the viz clear. Effortlessly gliding thru water, at one with our marine environment.

I hope this video exemplifies the experience. This is why I dive.

YouTube - Zen and the Art of Diving...in Krill

Susan Bird and I descended to about 30 feet and swam east with Suzanne and her buddy following. We made quick work of crossing Middle Reef and over some sand to the other side of Whaler's Cove and before long we were at Coal Chute Caverns via a nice swim-thru. Susan waited at the entrance for me and motioned me to go in first. "after you doc" What manners! Cool, so I did some video in the cavern.

Suzane and her buddy came in next. Not long after that, Suzanne, motioned to Susan that they were leaving as they had reached their turnaound pressure. Susan and I contuned and followed Middle Reef, staying on the reef while heading back to the ramp. Midway there, my video lights ran out, so I was shooting without lights. I was under Susan shooting her silhouette, when she signaled me with her light and there I saw what she wanted me to see, she was in the middle of a huge school of krill that had decided to circle her. Cool. I gradually ascended to her depth moving as little as possible, and I too found myself encircled in the school.

Site: Whaler's Cove, Middle Reef, Coal Chute Caverns
75 minutes, 49 feet, 52 degrees, visibility around 30 feet in the cove.

We were out there as well; you must have come along after we did? We were in the minivan with Idaho plates. We did two dives, both about 75 minutes, and found a couple of those huge swarms of krill you shot. In closer to the boat ramp, there was a massive swarm of fresh hatchlings of some kind as well. They were so thick they turned the water red, and when we swam into them, there was no visibility at all, just millions of tiny wigglers everywhere. It was one of the most amazing things we've ever experienced.

The highlight of the day came on the second day when my wife found a juvenile wolf eel. He was about three feet long and rather testy; she moved a little closer to take a picture of him and he tried to bite the camera! We also found 6 different kinds of rockfish and 7 kinds of nudibranchs. That place is truly amazing.

Terrific video!

Wow great Video Doc! Great choice of music, nice camerawork and an overall very peaceful experience. You did an excellent job of bringing your audience into the video. It's making me think twice about leaving my video rig at home for my trip up there on the 11th(diving the 12th which I'm still looking for a buddy for).

Billy

Glad you had some similar experiences! I missed the wolf eel though, would have been awesome to have videoed that!

I'm constantly amazed at all the life that exists there. When non-divers ask me what I see down there and if the diving is any good, I never feel like I can adequately describe it. I just say: "you know how beautiful the scenery is here above the water? It's even better underwater"

We were out there as well; you must have come along after we did? We were in the minivan with Idaho plates. We did two dives, both about 75 minutes, and found a couple of those huge swarms of krill you shot. In closer to the boat ramp, there was a massive swarm of fresh hatchlings of some kind as well. They were so thick they turned the water red, and when we swam into them, there was no visibility at all, just millions of tiny wigglers everywhere. It was one of the most amazing things we've ever experienced.

The highlight of the day came on the second day when my wife found a juvenile wolf eel. He was about three feet long and rather testy; she moved a little closer to take a picture of him and he tried to bite the camera! We also found 6 different kinds of rockfish and 7 kinds of nudibranchs. That place is truly amazing.

Terrific video!

Wow great Video Doc! Great choice of music, nice camerawork and an overall very peaceful experience. You did an excellent job of bringing your audience into the video. It's making me think twice about leaving my video rig at home for my trip up there on the 11th(diving the 12th which I'm still looking for a buddy for).

Billy

Thanks,

Hey, I've got reservations for July 13th, Sunday at Pt Lobos and would be happy to dive with you if I can get out of going to a wedding somehow.

I'd bring the video. If the conditions are not great, you can always choose not to dive it, but we've been getting some consistent good conditions out here. It must be payoff for having such a rough winter. This last winter, while I didn't ever need to call the dive due to conditions, it was overall pretty rough.

Glad you had some similar experiences! I missed the wolf eel though, would have been awesome to have videoed that!

I'm constantly amazed at all the life that exists there. When non-divers ask me what I see down there and if the diving is any good, I never feel like I can adequately describe it. I just say: "you know how beautiful the scenery is here above the water? It's even better underwater"

Yes. I never know how to answer that question, except perhaps with something like "how much time have you got?"

What time were you there? It was probably about 3:45 when we found the wolf eel. There are some pictures of him and other stuff we found here:

dwashbur/Point Lobos 7-1-08-2 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm not sure why I got so much backscatter with the wolf eel pix, because the water didn't seem that cluttered at the time. But you can get an idea what he looked like, and how he was glaring at us :eyebrow:

And I could swear that some of those lingcod we found hiding in their dens down there were big enough to eat small towns...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom