Zeagle Zipper BC for a kid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladodessit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I came a cross a discontinued Zeagle Zipper BC for my 10yo son.
IMAG0198.jpg
I've had an issue with BC for him for a while. We tried all different BCDs, but none fit right. He doesn't like jacket styles that seem to be the only option in his size but even those don't fit right anyway. I was about to break down and get him into small BP/W ($$$ and we would need to change most of components soon, he is going to be a big dude, 95 percentile height for sure) when I came around this one. It's basically small horseshoe wing with small soft backplate attached to zippered harness. It fits his short torso just right, he was very excited about it. However, there are few questions. First of all, question of cam bands. This BC for some reason has dual cinch style bands.
IMAG0199.jpg
On the only info I found for the item
Scuba.com discontinued scuba diving Kidz Gear BC´s and Everything Else Page 1
(scroll down for Zipper BC) it says that BC is designed for use with 13 to 50 cu ft tanks. My son has been using a steel HP 63 that is pretty small, fits just fine on this BC length and width wide. But I am not sure about cinch style bands. I've never seen those used for tank bands and they don't seem too secure, I meas what will happen to elastic part underwater. Are they the limiting factor? Should I just replace them with regular cam bands? Or there is something else I am not noticing and it just won't work? Or not bother and use it as is? I would really like to make this thing work for him. Never had anything that would fit so nicely. And it would just take him to the size where I could get him a proper BP/W setup with backplate that wouldn't be too long or become too short in an year.

Z makes a great BC for the young diver. It is called the Ranger Junior and sells for about $300 new.
I'm not sure about the unit you have there. I'm skeptical on the tank bands holding the tank secure, and any weight in the trim pouches is going to make your little guy very unstable with all the mass above his centerline.
It was a short lived product.

So, in other words, you do think it's a good idea to change to proper cam bands:) As for the weight pockets: how would it differ from SS backplate, especially with trim pockets? Not arguing, just asking. Oh, and weight belt is always a possibility too if construction turns out to be unstable.

I might try the tank bands in a pool before swaping them out. You will know if they are to be trusted when you try shaking the tank loose.
The SS plate, steel tank and trim weights will all fit on a divers back but If trying to stay upright and horizonal in the water becomes a problem, hanging some of that mass over the divers hips will help keep the everything in place. One reason the Zeagle BC's dive so well is because the weigh system stops the tank from slideing around on your back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom