Zeagle Escape - Tank Stability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Am considering a new travel BC. I like both the Zeagle Escape and Oceanic Islander.

The only thing I don't like about the Islander is that it only holds 10lbs ditchable weight and non ditchable is not intergrated to BC but located on bags strapped to tank band. In most cases where I will be diving I won't need more weight as I'll dive w/ skin only, but in those instances where I'll be using a wet suit I don't think I'll have enough capacity unless I really load up the back.

I like most everything about the Zeagle Escape, but never having dived a soft pack (no backplate), I'm a little concerned about loosing tank stability.

Do any of you Escape owners, or for that matter Zeagle softpack type BC owners have any comments regarding tank stability.

Thanks!

mstevens:
I've got a Zeagle Stiletto, which is similar to an Escape and which I got specifically for travel. It's very, very stable.
Thanks for your input. One other question, do you find the weights move around within the pockets?

For stability, a manufacturer has 2 choices... they can either put a curved piece of plastic - a "hard pack" in the back of the BC, or use 2 tank straps - like Zeagle does. The tank is plenty hard enough - and with 2 straps, will be very secure and stable.

As far as the weights moving... you really shouldn't notice that much, but if you do, just get some of the yellow thingies... They have some velcro in the middle that will keep the weights from moving much at all. http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=zeagleweightpocket18

I have a Zeagle Brigade which is a BC exclusive to Scubatoys and uses an Escape bladder. I've not had problems with tank stability at all.

As for the weights, they don't move about in my weight pockets. I have the yellow pocket things which Larry mentioned and those may have helped. If anything, they make passing your weights to the boatmen a tad easier. :wink:

I have a Zeagle Escape and the double tank straps make it rock solid... doesn't move a bit. I learned on a rental BCD with a single strap and then switched to my Escape once I bought all my equipment... I love it, huge difference... I also have the trim weight packs in back to help distrubte the weight... it's a great BCD!

Welcome to the board.

The Escape has a lot higher weight capacity than 10lbs. According to the Zeagle web site the Escape handles 20 lb in the rear (2x10) non ditchable and 30 (2x15) in the front. I use to dive a Ranger which has the same weight intergration. I did not have any problems with the weights shifting around but I did prefer to use the weight pockets.
The last few years I have been diving the Scout. I swapped to it because 99% of my diving involves air travel and I wanted to reduce weight and size as much as possible. It has the same basic tank support as the Escape. I have had no problems with it. It's not as stable as a BP but I have no complaints.
http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=gendocs&link=Escape&submenu=RecreationalBC

Buy the Zeagle, you can't go wrong. Own a Brigade and love it!

divo:
Thanks for your input. One other question, do you find the weights move around within the pockets?

If I don't use the "yellow thingies," the weights will shift a little if I do a barrel roll or go head-down. This doesn't really affect my trim, as they only shift an inch at the very most. I use the "yellow thingies" when diving locally, since I use soft weights including one-pounders that might otherwise slip out. When diving in the carribbean, the "yellow thingies" are a bit of a nuisance if weights have to be put in and taken out of them frequently so I just pop lead weights in the pockets.

Back
Top Bottom